Junior goalkeeper receives Big Ten player of week award

Team tries to recover from slew of injuries with two-week rest

Colin Rogers hadn't started a game in his collegiate soccer career until four weeks ago.\nSince then, the IU junior goalkeeper has started and won seven consecutive games.\nRogers recorded his sixth and seventh victories -- and fourth and fifth shutouts -- of the season last week against Kentucky and Ohio St. The Big Ten recognized Rogers for his efforts, naming him conference player of the week.\nRogers' play against the Buckeyes might have sent the award his direction. He said the five-save shutout was one of his best performances of the season.\n"I was a little more confident on my exits (in the Ohio State game)," he said. "Still there were a couple balls that I could've done better on. But I definitely felt very confident in what I was doing, and from that standpoint, I felt it was one of my better games of the year."\nRogers didn't take full credit for his award, though. He said his defense had as much to do with the honor as he did.\n"I feel for a goalie to get any award; it's more of a team defense award, because without the guys in front of me, no goalie could get any award," he said. "But having put in four years of hard work here, to be recognized, it's nice."\nGetting healthy\nThe Hoosiers might have gotten a two-week vacation at just the right time.\nSeveral players have been riddled with injuries the past few weeks, and coach Jerry Yeagley said he plans on using the time to rest some of his players.\nSenior goalkeeper T.J. Hannig is expected to begin training again this week after missing four weeks with a lateral meniscus tear. Several other players are nursing less serious injuries.\nJunior defender John Swann played the last three games with an ankle injury, and sophomore midfielder Phil Presser sprained his knee Sunday against the Buckeyes.\n"We have a number of guys with aches and pains," Yeagley said. "But these guys are tough, and mentally, they can overcome some of that. I credit our athletic trainer and our sports medicine people.\n"They do a great job not only of preventing (injuries), but treating and then psychologically... There's a lot of psychology to getting yourself ready. We have had very little playing time lost compared to most (teams) over recent years."\nPoll update\nIU remained in the top five in all national polls after its two latest victories.\nThe Hoosiers stayed fifth in the soccertimes.com poll, behind North Carolina, Southern Methodist, San Jose State and Stanford. IU jumped from fifth to fourth in the Soccer America poll, trailing SMU, Stanford and North Carolina. \nIn the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll, the Hoosiers dropped from second to third, switching spots with SMU. San Jose State remained first in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll.\nThe lone poll in which IU ranks first is the internetsoccer.com media poll. The Hoosiers kept the No. 1 ranking for the second straight week. Stanford, Connecticut, North Carolina and SMU round out the internetsoccer.com top 5.\nThe Hoosiers are also in the top 5 of a ratings index on collegesoccer.com. The ratings index, which helps determine seeds in the NCAA tournament, rated UCLA first and IU second in its most recent poll, which came out last week. The Hoosiers trailed the Bruins by only five points -- 1953-1948 -- and could take the top spot in the next poll, because UCLA lost two games over the weekend.\nAlma maters\nThe alma maters of several IU players will participate in the Indiana High School Athletic Association state finals this weekend in Indianapolis.\nCanterbury, Presser's former high school, was ranked No. 1 in the final regular season IHSAA poll and will play Indianapolis North Central in the final four. Two IU players -- senior forward Matt Fundenberger and sophomore goalkeeper Matt Reiswerg -- played their high school soccer at North Central.\nCanterbury's coach, Greg Mauch, coaches with Yeagley at IU soccer camps every summer and has improved his program this season.\nAfter winning consecutive state championships in Presser's final two years at Canterbury, the Cavaliers struggled somewhat last season and lost in sectional play.\n"I still know what's going on there because I still talk to coach Mauch," Presser said. "I'm happy for him. He's totally turned things around there this year"