IUSA seeks tax-free books

Student petitions to be sent to State Legislature

Led by the IU Student Association, students are now one step closer to buying tax-free textbooks for their college courses. \nA petition drive, spearheaded by Benjamin Piper, a junior and IUSA director of legislative relations, is currently in its third week collecting signatures, which will be sent to the Indiana State Legislature to show support for the movement on campus.\nPiper said the petition has been very successful so far.\n"We've collected approximately 2,300 signatures, but we expect to receive completed petitions from the fraternities, sororities and residence halls as well," he said.\nAfter the signatures have been collected, the next step is to find a representative in the legislature who supports the cause to author a bill making all college textbook purchases tax-exempt for students, Piper said.\nTalks have already begun with several representatives, Piper added, although he declined to mention names until he receives an official confirmation of support.\nMeredith Suffron, a senior and IUSA president, said that this year's executives have pushed this as a hallmark issue for the fall.\n"It's an important issue that we've pushed to have focused on this fall, and it seems like we do have support statewide for it," she said.\nStill, the drive appears to being falling short of their original goal.\nIUSA set its original goal for 10,000 signatures, but Suffron said it will be difficult to reach that.\n"We did set our goal pretty lofty," she said.\nBut IU students are not fighting this battle alone.\nPiper said the drive at IU is being combined with similar drives at other universities in Indiana, including Purdue, Ball State and Indiana State University.\n"We continue to bring new schools on board daily," he added.\nScott Witoszynski,a senior and IUSA vice president of administration, said they were able to look to other states that already have tax-free textbooks for ideas on how to implement the program.\nHe said Michigan has a program in place that could be a model for IU. It works very well there, he said.\nStudent reaction has been decidedly in favor of the petition.\nKimberlin Herron, a junior, said she thinks this program is long overdue.\n"If we can get pan pizzas tax-free, why not textbooks?" she said.\nAndrew Wilson, a graduate student in the psychology department, echoed similar sentiments.\n"It's about time. When's it bloody happening?" he asked.\nWhile those who buy textbooks are in favor of the measure, those who sell them also think it is a good idea.\nPaul Hazel, director of the IU Bookstore, said this is the type of program all people involved in higher education should support.\n"Anything we can do to make the educational process less costly is our mission," he said. "I support it 100 percent. If students get tax exemptions on things like food, then they should get them on textbooks, something they are forced to buy, as well."\nAnyone wishing to sign the petition can visit the IUSA office in room 387 of the student activities tower in the Indiana Memorial Union. There will also be a table set up at the Kelley School of Business from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday.