Hoosiers not out of the woods yet

Football team shows heart in win

A gasp and then a cry of "not again" found its way around Memorial Stadium, as if in a crowd wave. \nBefore the crowd's shrieks, the attention had been turned to IU's offense, which had been nearly perfect all day. But Minnesota had just scored early in the fourth quarter and now only trailed the Hoosiers 37-35. \nIU's answer of how to spell relief, Antwaan Randle El, took the field. And as if he and all IU players are cursed because they are Hoosiers, 'Twaan fumbled and gave the Golden Gophers the ball.\nThe Hoosiers had once again set the backdrop and positioned the actors for the final dramatic scene where the hero dies in the end after prevailing for the first three-fourths of the movie. No matter how many times IU's fans have seen this scenario, it never gets any easier, so they continue to gasp and cry for the football gods' mercy. \nThen like finding a $20 bill in an old pair of jeans, IU's luck changed. \nOn Minnesota's third play, Sharrod Wallace picked off quarterback Travis Cole and IU marched to victory.\nOverall, the defense and special teams were still not consistent, and the Hoosiers' offense can't be expected to score 51 points to win a game. But IU showed something it hadn't in the previous six weeks -- clutch play.\nThroughout the game, IU's players stepped up when the game really mattered and like the Tin Man, showed they could have heart. \nOn Minnesota's first drive, IU safety Johnny Anderson was able to drop Minnesota's running back Tellis Redmon for three yards when the Gophers needed four yards on third down. IU's other safety, freshman Ron Bethel, held Redmon to only a four-yard reception on third down when five was required on the second drive.\nFreshman Stephen Williams came up with his first collegiate sack when Minnesota was faced with third and nine. With IU ahead 44-35, linebacker Justin Smith rocked the Minnesota quaterback's world with a blind-sided blitz that caused Cole to fumble the ball, which defensive tackle Paul Mandina recovered.\nEven when the Gophers had first and goal on the two-yard line, the Hoosiers' defense stepped up. Mandina first tackled Thomas Tapeh for a two-yard loss, then Wallace broke up a pass and sophomore Kemp Rasmussen finally met Redmon at the line for no gain, forcing the Gophers to kick a field goal. \nPlay after play on offense, Randle El, Levron Williams and Versie Gaddis showed their veteran leadership and combined for six touchdowns and nearly 800 yards.\nThis win meant something to this program, but that something cannot be determined until next week's game. People should not get too excited about IU football unless the Hoosiers can build on Saturday's win.\nThe Hoosiers still have many questions to answer.\nThey need to prove that they're not one-hit wonders like Chumbawamba, or that they do not need a butt-whipping like Michigan's 58-0 win to get motivated and play their best.\nA win against Penn State and Joe Paterno -- even if the Nittany Lions are up and down this season -- could turn the corner for IU's program and coach Cam Cameron. \nThe thought of IU football without gasps and cries might be tough for Hoosiers to get used to, but would probably be welcomed with cheers.