Hoosier offense a work in progress

Turnovers, second half mistakes plague team

Football coach Cam Cameron uttered some bashful words about IU's offense after viewing film of the team's 44-point performance against Iowa.\n "I went back and looked at the tape, and offensively again we still don't feel like we've arrived on offense, although we are doing some good things," Cameron said Tuesday at his weekly press conference.\n Cameron isn't the only member of the program who said he feels IU's offense, which is averaging 39.8 points per contest, isn't a completed project.\n"We have a lot of steps to go as far as being consistent and overall improving in every area," sophomore right tackle Enoch DeMar said. "As far as productivity, we're getting the job done, but we need to score more points, and that's our main objective. We're not a finished product yet."\nAfter four games, IU's offense hasn't lacked scoring punch. Statistically, IU is ranked among the top 10 nationally in three major offensive categories:\n• In scoring offense, IU is 10th nationally and leads the Big Ten. The Hoosiers have scored more than 30 points in each of its four games and have recorded more than 40 points the past two weekends against Iowa and Cincinnati. \n• The Hoosiers rank seventh nationally and second in the conference behind Purdue, averaging 477.8 yards per game in total offense.\n• A big chunk of IU's yards have been gained on the ground. IU leads the Big Ten and ranks fifth nationally in rushing offense, averaging 299 yards per game. The Hoosiers average 6.4 yards per rushing play. \nDespite seeing their name among the national leaders, members of the offense said they think there are a number of things they can improve upon.\n"We're not operating at our peak efficiency yet," sophomore left tackle A.C. Myler said. "We made a lot of mistakes. We are very happy with the way we played, but we know there are a lot of things we can do to improve and we're going to work on that."\nSome of IU's early season offensive problems have occurred in the second half of games. IU scored 26 points in the first half against Kentucky Sept. 16, but the offense slowed in the second half, scoring just 12 points in the 41-34 loss.\nThe offense also slowed in the second half of IU's 41-38 loss to North Carolina State Sept. 9. The Hoosiers scored 28 points in the first half against the Wolfpack.\nTurnovers are another problem that has plagued the offense this season. The Hoosiers are tied with Michigan State for the worst turnover margin in the Big Ten. Although IU has turned the ball over just six times, it has forced three turnovers. \nWhen the Hoosiers do finally correct their mistakes, opposing defenses, who already had trouble stopping IU's offense, could be facing an even more difficult task.\n"The good thing about our team is that we're never satisfied with the place we're at," DeMar said. "We see the mistakes out there and they must be corrected for us to go where we want to go as a team"