Hollywood yawns out another season

Hollywood is not only to blame for so many disappointing films this year, it is also responsible for offering some of the unimaginative TV programs this fall. Haven't the network executives realized that the most phenomenal programs in recent memory are reality shows, game shows and HBO's original programming?\nThe TV networks have always courted many talents in the film industry as their designated hitters, and some of the recent examples in this trend include Michael Chrichton's "ER," Kevin Williamson's "Dawson\'s Creek" and "The American President" and screenwriter Aaron Sorkin's "The West Wing."\nThis fall, the major networks' new fall season lineup continues to boast many talents from the film industry, both in front of and behind of the camera. Some of the hyped-up Hollywood shows include James Cameron's "Dark Angel," "Seven" producer Arnold Kopelson's "The Fugitive," "The Blair Witch Project" producer Gregg Hale's "Freakylinks" and the devil himself, Jerry Bruckheimer's "C.S.I."\nOn the talent front, many out-of-work Hollywood talents are hoping to revitalize their careers with their new TV ventures. These shows include Bette Midler in "Bette!," Geena Davis in "The Geena Davis Show," Gabriel Byrne in "The Madigen Men," Paul Sorvino and Ellen Burstyn in "That's Life," John Goodman in "Normal, Ohio," as well as Oliver Platt, Lili Taylor and Hope Davis in "Deadline."\nEnough name dropping already. Now show us the money. Honestly, is anyone out there really pumped up for "The Geena Davis Show" or "Normal, Ohio?" I don't think so, either. \nAlthough a few of the aforementioned shows such as "Deadline" and "C.S.I." do look promising, the fall's most exciting shows are still the homegrown productions from the TV land. "Late Show with David Letterman" co-writer/producer Jon Beckerman's "Ed" and "Homicide" creator Paul Attanasio's "Gideon's Crossing" seem like the best bets among this fall's new entries.\nOf course, many wonderful series such as "Everybody Loves Raymond," "The Simpsons," "Malcolm in the Middle" and "Dharma & Greg" return for another season. They should be able to last us through the remainder of fall before "Oz" and "Survivor: The Australian Outback" return to rescue us viewers from the TV wasteland.

'Requiem' triumphs despite ratings war

"Pi" director Darren Aronofsky's new film "Requiem for a Dream" opened this past weekend and played to sold-out crowds in two New York City theaters. The Motion Picture Association of America gave the film an NC-17 rating. The film's distributor, Artisan Entertainment, appealed the scene in question, claiming that similar scenes passed with an R rating in "Eyes Wide Shut." When the MPAA rejected Artisan's appeal, the company opted to release the film without a rating or a single cut.\nSince "Requiem" is the first major NC-17 rated film released after the Capitol Hill witch hunt on Hollywood, it is certainly suffering some unnecessarily consequences. This past weekend, the Loews Cineplex Theatres and United Artists Theatres chains both asked Artisan to foot the bill for hiring extra security to prevent minors from seeing the film. Regardless, "Requiem" was playing to sold-out crowds this past weekend.\nEntertainment Weekly's Lisa Schwarzbaum wrote in her column that Aronofsky's cautionary tale about a group of drug addicts' downward spiral deserves a break. She wrote that unlike the current slew of teen slasher movies that are completely pointless, the grim message of "Requiem" will actually discourage minors from trying recreational drugs.\nMany politicians are quick to use the media as a scapegoat in this election year. These people will say anything to get a vote, while a few important films this year like "Requiem" fall victim to this hypocrisy.