Hollywood addresses politics as usual with 'The Contender'

It was only a matter of time before Hollywood addressed the concept of sex scandals and the U.S. presidency -- or in the case of Dreamworks' new film "The Contender," the vice presidency.\nThe film's premise is this: two major politicians -- one male, one female -- vie for the recently vacated vice president's office. Both are competent and worthy of the position, but President Jackson Evans (Jeff Bridges) chooses Ohio Senator Laine Hanson (Joan Allen) because he wants the first female vice president to be his legacy. The only thing standing in her way is her past. Photos and rumours from one particular college party circulate, drawing ire from enemies and friends alike.\nThis film, like so many others that have come before it, longs to change the status quo -- or at least point out the hypocrisy in it. The basic questions this film asks are the same as those the country has asked itself in the past: Where do we draw the line between private and public life? What defines a moral existence? How do we bridge the professional gender gap? And so on.\nThe plot is relevant and timely, with one unexpected twist and one expected one. The storyline builds suspense and moves along quickly. This is typical Hollywood blockbuster fare, with typical goals and expectations. Audiences will enjoy the film but not necessarily remember it, for while it is interesting, entertaining and intellectual, the only exceptionally explosive scene is the repeated, borderline-pornographic flashback.\nThe acting is also typical, with decent performances by all and a particularly entertaining performance turned in by Bridges. While there are a few pointedly sappy, patriotic moments in his speeches, his character outshines all the others, even the fiery Hanson, who isn't quite so fiery as one would have hoped. But while the story has some depth to it, the characters don't have quite so much. And without that insight into their characters, the audience can't empathize nearly as much as is necessary to this film.