Fraternity kicks off annual haunted house

Halloween event raises money for local philanthropy

A bloody man lies on the bathroom floor. The word "Redrum" is scribbled on the mirror. Thrill seekers step back and scream. But the tour guide tells them to keep going and leads them further into darkness.\nLambda Chi fraternity, 1210 E. Third Street, kicked off its annual Nightmare on Third Street haunted house last night. The fraternity paired with Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority for the second year in a row in hopes of raising money for Bloomington's Big Brother and Big Sister program. The haunted houses are scheduled to run throughout the weekend. There is $4 charge for the event or $3 with a donation of a canned good.\nAlex Greenwald, a junior and vice president of Lambda Chi, said while last night's haunted house was geared more for kids, the other nights the houses will be geared for an older audiance.\n"There will be a lot more scary things added," said junior Mike Blue. "We will also be having Straight No Chaser and Lady's First performing out here."\nJune Tomastick, a Bloomington resident said she was scared and pleased with the haunted house. \n"This is by far the best haunted house I have ever been to," Tomastick said. "My favorite thing was the grabbing of the legs -- it scared me the most."\nGreenwald said the partnership with Kappa's has been successful. \n"A couple of years ago we did it with another house, and it didn't work out," Greenwald said. "Last year we paired up with the Kappa's and we were impressed with their participation."\nGreenwald said the fraternity has been putting on the haunted house for over 20 years as part of its philanthropy. He said all proceeds go to the Big Brother and Big Sister program.\nHe said preparation for the event starts in May and letters are sent to over 300 businesses to collect donations for the biggest philanthorpy event on campus.\nIt costs $5,000 to put the event on and in previous year, Lambda Chi has made about $10,000, Greenwald said.\nThe fraternity has been building the house for the past two weeks and Greenwald said the event is a mandatory participation for all members.\n"The guys have been very supportive," Greenwald said. "They have to deal with a couple things like having tarps in front of their rooms and things falling down, but they have handled things well."\nBut the fraternity has had some trouble with promoting the event.\n"We had some advertising problems," said Bart Brown, a senior and Lambda Chi's vice president. "We think other competing groups took some of the fliers down."\nLambda Chi and Kappa Kappa Gamma said they will continue their involvement with the Big Brother and Big Sister program during the year. Junior Calle Tinkham, Kappa's philanthropy chair, said they will hold the Spring Games Day in March with Lambda Chi. She said the children will come out to the fraternity house to participate in field games.\n"Right now we are just trying to let the kids have a good time and we're scaring them," Greenwald said. "But when they come here in the spring we are one on one with them and get to know them better"