Fishbone funks up Axis

Fishbone is a funk band that has been around for about 20 years, put out about five albums and played with George Clinton and the Red Hot Chile Peppers. In other words, it has all-around good credentials. They played at Axis, 419 N. Walnut Ave., Wednesday night. \nFishbone also had an impressive opening band. Most people assume if they get to a show late, no big deal -- it was only the guys who warm up the crowd. This was obviously not the case with Primitive Reason about midway through the first song. \nPrimitive Reason is a band out of Portugal that has been around for a few years and has put out three CDs, including its first in the states, "Some of Us," in September. In Portugal, the five-piece set has played to crowds of more than 10,000. \nAt first, the band was reminiscent of "Korn," but the musicians quickly changed this impression. The band is a fuse of hardcore, Latin, hip-hop, world, funk and reggae. It's a bit of anger and a lot of passion thrown into a mix of guys who have something to say.\nYet the crowd for the opener was about as into it as a bunch of 13-year-old boys at a Hanson concert. There were a few who showed their appreciation by head nods, but beyond that the crowd was apathetic. \nThe music struck a chord. Abel and James Beja, guitar and bass, respectively, had control over their instruments. With his varying light and heavy rhythms, drummer Jorge Felizardo provided a good mix. William, Guillermo de Llera, put energy into the vocals that went beyond the growls and fluid rapping. Added to these was his work with percussion and the didgeridoo, an Australian woodwind instrument. Normally the band has horn players and a sampler, but they couldn't make it on the tour.\nStage presence, musical quality, diversity and cordialness combined, a Primitive Reason show should not be missed. \nAbout midway through intermission, the audience began to look promising. College students and some middle age fans began to meander to the dance floor in anticipation of an energetic and entertaining show, which is just what they received. \nWith a new CD hot off the burner, Fishbone was ready to play. The band held the crowd's attention rapt from the beginning. There was some moshing, some pogoing and a lot of skanking going on. \nThe band's biography describes the music as an, "un-hinged stew of rock, punk, soul, funk, ska, word-jazz and reggae." This is accurate, perhaps with more of a ska/funk/reggae influence than anything.\nIt was hard not to move at the first funky guitar rhythm. This band also had something more than the popular rock "I'm immature, I just got dumped and I'm really angry about not much at all" theme that seems to have been dominant on the airwaves over the past couple of years. \nFishbone had a party attitude, which was quite obvious when they played "Alcoholic" while lead vocalist Angelo balanced a tray of six shots of tequila, but the group also had soul. \nIn particular, the song "The Suffering," from their new album, Fishbone and the Familyhood Nextperience Presents the Psychotic Friends Nuttwerx, told the story of "the engagement ring, the wedding ring and the suffering." This provided a softer, groove-worthy contrast to some of the louder, more ska-like tracks. \nThe musicians\' skills also deserved appreciation. Naturally, this comes with 15 years of touring and putting out albums. But between the constant horn switches to the bouncing guitar riffs to the vocals and rhythm section, the music created satisfaction. \nTogether with Primitive Reason, groove and musical styling, the show was funking awesome.