Final presidential debate excludes third parties

While Texas Gov. George W. Bush and Vice President Al Gore make their way to St. Louis for their final presidential debate today, another candidate will air his views -- although 40 million Americans will not tune in.\nRalph Nader, Green Party presidential candidate, will visit Washington University in St. Louis, along with fellow Green Party members to protest his exclusion from the three presidential debates. About 30 IU students and Bloomington residents will support Nader and speak about the debate's unfairness.\nLocal Support\nSenior Nate Wolf, who worked in Nader's Washington headquarters during the summer and was a founding member of IU Greens, said voters want to hear from more than just Republicans and Democrats on the issues.\n"A range of ideas are going to give voters more solutions and they, in turn, can consider them," he said. "Having other voices out there ... appeals to people."\nWolf said he is unhappy with the structure of the presidential debates. He referred to the Commission on Presidential Debates as "bi-partisan" because it is run by Democrats and Republicans. \nThe commission, established in 1987, has sponsored the 1988, 1992 and 1996 presidential debates. This year, the commission identified the criteria for participation in each debate in January. Each candidate was required to have at least 15 percent of the popular vote in a series of five polls, be constitutionally eligible and appear on enough state ballots to win the electoral college. \nJohn Scardino, commission media director, said the standards were established before Nader announced his candidacy. Scardino said the commission has received phone calls, letters to the editor and complaints about the exclusion of third party candidates. \n"Once we made that announcement (in January), I don't think legally we could change it," he said. "There is no law that makes candidates debate. We announce the rules well in advance so everyone knows what to do and what is expected."\nVoicing Opposition\nWinona LaDuke, Green Party vice presidential candidate, spoke to fellow Green protesters during the Oct. 5 vice presidential debate at Centre College in Danville, Ky. She said she was infuriated at being denied the opportunity to discuss issues with other candidates.\n"I demand that we are included in the dialogue for this country," she said. "America is the single most difficult democracy in the world."\nThe Green Party, according to LaDuke, represents the largest party in this country -- the nonvoters.\n"We are individuals who are saying that because we have opinions out of the fold, we should not be pepper sprayed," she said. "We have to open up the debates and the electoral process to the American people."\nDuring the rally, LaDuke and fellow Green members said they would not give up the fight and would continue to protest the elimination of non-mainstream candidates.\n"Change is made by individuals," LaDuke said. "Change is made by people who stand up and say 'this is wrong' or 'this is right.' We are those people and we will be included."\nA chance to debate\nAlthough third party candidates haven't participated in the nationally televised debates, another opportunity might be available to voice their opinions. Judicial Watch, a nonprofit foundation established in 1994, might be their last-ditch effort.\nAn Oct. 15 Web posting reported that a debate -- featuring all candidates -- mainstream and third party, will present their views at the 600-seat Ronald Reagan Building Amphitheater in Washington. It said C-SPAN was "committed to airing the debate."\nBut Erika Robinson, C-SPAN representative, said nothing is finalized and only verbal consent was agreed on by the two parties. She said nothing would be known until the 90-minute debate, which begins at 8 p.m. Friday.\n"We are committed to covering this debate only if all of the third party candidates agree to participate," she said.\nTom Adkins, assistant press secretary for Nader, said Nader nor the campaign officially accepted or confirmed participation in the debate.\n"Judicial Watch is an extremely right-winged organization and Mr. Nader is not interested in debating minor party candidates," he said. "It's just unfortunate that other third parties have gone to great lengths to put misinformation out there."\nJudicial Watch did not return repeated phone calls.