Evening childcare available for student-parents

Beginning next semester, evening childcare will be available for student parents. The program is a combination effort between Returning Student Services, Sunflower Daycare Cooperative and the IU Daycare Support Center. IU is affiliated with several daycare facilities, such as Campus Children's Center and Campus View Childcare Center, but the need for evening childcare has been a growing concern.\nLast year, the IU Student-Parent Support Network surveyed student-parents on their needs, and 58 percent said they would use an evening program. \n"We have no idea what to expect. Based on the survey, there are more than enough people, but it depends and this is a yearlong pilot program," said Sally Jones, Returning Student Services coordinator. \nAfter RSS was awarded a grant, the program began to take shape with Sunflower Daycare sponsoring the childcare. In addition to care offered from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., care will now be available 5:30-9:30p.m. Monday through Thursday, with a child-teacher ratio of five to one. \n"Most activities happen in the evening," Jones said, "which works for traditional students but not for students with children."\nTim Dunnuck, Childcare Support Program coordinator, said, "We want to see what kind of response we get this year and then reevaluate, depending on the demand, for the next year."\nRegistration starts Oct. 16 for the program, which begins Jan. 8 and caters to all students with children ages 3 to 11. The cost is $9 per four-hour slot. \n"The program is first come, first serve, and we are asking students to sign up as soon as possible," Jones said, "but parents can use vacant spots if they are available on an open night."\nThere is a limit of 10 children per evening and after Dec. 15, the program will be open to IU and Ivy Tech faculty and students.\nContinuing studies student Amber Cline plans on using the program once or twice a week.\n"I like to spend my evenings with my daughter, but sometimes there are discussions or classes at that time," Cline said.\nCline, who is a full-time student and single parent, said she is glad she will have an opportunity to have evening hours to dedicate to studying without breaking her finances.\nCline said she hopes the program will make a big difference for student-parents, "especially for single parents," she said, "because it's easier for married people to have their spouse watch the kids, but more difficult for single parents."\nStudents can sign up for the program in the RSS Office, in the Returning Students Lounge, located in Owen Hall 203, or visit www.indiana.edu/~iuparent/.