Either speak up or shut up

Change. Here is a pledge that I make to you "if you don't like it, then change it." The last couple weeks, I have been racking my brain trying to come up with an article for the elections, a piece that would encourage students to participate in the election process or more importantly to get the students to vote. It wasn't until last Friday did I find the direction for my election column: Either speak up or shut up.\nA friend and I were handling some work issues on campus when a student approached and asked where we worked. As soon as we told the student we work for the Indiana Daily Student, she responded by saying, "I hate the IDS."\nWhile understanding everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, I just couldn't help but ask her why. Her response to my inquiry was along the lines of "they don't cover enough worldly events."\nFair enough. She might not like the balance between campus and other coverage.\nThen, my friend and I suggested that "if she didn't like it, why doesn't she do something to change it." She just shrugged her shoulders, replied, "whatever" and left. For those readers out there who are like this student, either do something about it or quit your complaining. For example, one could write a letter to the editor or sign up for a stop on the newspaper's Listening Tour.\nI bet you are wondering how a story about a student who criticizes the newspaper you are reading has anything to do with the election. The same underlying theme goes for the election, too, either speak up or shut up.\nIn the sense of elections, when I say, "speak up," I mean, "vote." Nov. 7, Election Day, is your opportunity to speak out on which candidate is best for president. It isn't going to make a difference what you say before or after the election. The only time your voice is going to matter is on Nov. 7.\nThe election is your opportunity to let your opinion be known. If you want to let the people of the United States know it is time for change, then make your opinion be heard through voting. The same goes if you like the state of the union. Let them know it through your vote.\nThe other day I asked a friend if she was going to vote in the upcoming election. Her response was she didn't like the two major candidates and really didn't want either in office. She said by not voting she was advocating her opposition to them.\nAlthough her response was not new to me, it still didn't make any sense. I don't know how she was planning to let people know she didn't like the two major candidates by not voting. I told her non-participation won't let others know her position on the two. If she wanted to make a statement, she should vote for someone other than a Democrat or Republican.\nFor example, she could vote for the Libertarian candidate or the Green candidate. By doing this she would be letting the American people know her stance on both the Republican and the Democratic candidates.\nThe bottom line is that if you want to make a change, then you are going to have to take a proactive approach to do so. By voting in this upcoming election you are taking this approach. This election lets your opinion be heard so either speak up or shut up.