world

Early morning explosion leaves USS Cole wounded in Yemen

Flags are flying at half mast today in honor of six American sailors who died aboard a U.S. Naval destroyer bombed Thursday off the southern coast of Yemen. \nAuthorities said two unknown subjects pulled up alongside the USS Cole while it was refueling in the Port of Aden and set off explosives which blew a large hole in the side of the destroyer. \nThirty-five members of the crew were killed and 11 were missing as of press time. The USS Cole has remained afloat despite the damage.\nPresident Bill Clinton said the attack on the advanced warship appeared to be an act of terrorism. It is the worst against U.S. military forces since the bombing of an Air Force barrack which killed 19 soldiers in 1996 in Saudi Arabia. \n"The government of Yemen condemns this act, of course, and is sorry for the people and their families," a representative from the Embassy of the Republic of Yemen in Washington said.\nThe $1 billion warship had sailed through the Red Sea and was on its way to the Persian Gulf to support the U.N. embargo against Iraq. Three hundred fifty people were aboard the ship. \nTeams from the CIA and the FBI have been dispatched to Yemen to investigate the bombings.\nFBI special agent Tracy Silberling said the FBI does not want to speculate on the circumstances of the bombing until they have fully assessed the situation.\nIn the House of Representatives, the Armed Services Committee passed a motion regarding the attack.\nRep. John Hostettler (R-8th) said the committee expressed outrage and is condemning the act.\n"I am angered and saddened by this unprovoked and cowardly attack on the U.S. servicemen and women serving on the USS Cole," he said in a release.\nThe attack occurred at 4:15 a.m. Ambulances rushed to the port and Yemenite authorities secured the area. Police sources told The Associated Press that a number of people had been detained for questioning. It was not clear whether any were suspects. \nThe bombing comes at a time of tremendous turmoil in the Middle East. Israeli forces bombed Palestinian territory Thursday in retaliation for the beating deaths of three Israeli soldiers.\n"I think the U.S. should interfere with what is going on (in this region)," said Liron Ickovic, an Israeli citizen who is visiting Bloomington. \nThe Yemen Embassy's spokeswoman said she expects the government and the citizens of Yemen to respond to the attack. The government of Yemen plans to investigate the bombing, she said.\nThe Associated Press contributed to this report.