Campuses play host to candidates

Democrat Perry speaks to students

In a speech Wednesday to Political Science Professor Gerald Wright's Election 2000 class, Democratic congressional candidate Paul Perry told students how he deals with critics who say a political newcomer can't win a district known as the "Bloody 8th."\n"I like to tell people, 'As a surgeon a little bit of blood never bothered me.'" \nDuring the 75-minute long class, a smiling and noteless Perry said he "absolutely decided" to run for Congress because of problems he has seen with the current health care system, in particular his patients' difficulties being able to afford treatment because their health care providers won't cover the costs. \nPerry, an orthopedic physician, husband and father of five from Newburg, Ind., acknowledged that his young audience members might not be interested in health care. But he challenged them to view the issue as one that will affect them throughout life, rather than only in retirement.\n"Who's paying the bills? Who are the taxpayers for the next 45 years? That's why you should care," Perry said.\nEstimates predict, he told students, that funding for Medicare will dry up by 2025. Members of Generations X, Y and Z would then have to look elsewhere for money for their aging parents' care, he said. Perry said to help avoid that scenario he would put more money into Medicare and expand the program to include a prescription drug cost-relief program for seniors.\nOn the latter measure Perry took issue with his opponent, Republican Congressman John Hostettler. \n"(Hostettler) does not believe that there ought to be any prescription drug benefit program," Perry said. "I think that's out of touch."\nPerry also attacked intrusion into doctors' offices by health care providers and insurance companies. If elected, Perry said, he would work to ensure that doctors and patients alone are in charge of making medical decisions. What makes American health care good, Perry said, is the emphasis on patients' input on their health care services and treatments.\nPerry refuted charges from opponents that he wants to create a "socialist" health care system similar to the one in place in Canada. Such a program, Perry said, would result in lower quality of care. But he disagreed with the proposition that each state be entirely in charge of its health care system.\n"To suggest that we have 50 different systems of health care in this country ... I don't think that's very practical," he said.\nIn reference to other issues, Perry said the United States should use half its budget surplus to help pay off the national debt and that Congress should eliminate the marriage tax penalty. Additionally, Perry said, he would work for the issues that have a major impact on Hoosiers, by supporting tax-deductible tuition and the building of I-69.\nBut paramount on his agenda is health care, he said. \n"I'm actually a bit of a conservative Democrat," Perry said. \nAt one point Perry mentioned that he is morally anti-abortion and would not support tax dollars being spent on the recently FDA-approved abortion pill RU-486.\n"The fact that I was still chosen as my party's candidate goes to show the importance of health care as an issue," he said.\nHow long would Perry stay in office if elected? "Until health care's fixed," Perry replied, grinning.\nPerry stressed the significance of the "Bloody 8th" district in the national political arena and the fact that polls predict close local races. Perry said this district is one of only 30 in the country that has real deciding power in which party will gain control of the House of Representatives. Perry said of his campaign, "We are in a situation where we can win." But ultimately, the race will come down to a few thousand out of 200,000 (district) votes, he added.\nCollege Democrats president Cassidy Cloyd, a junior, attended the speech, and said, "I was extremely impressed by what he did. He answered every question directly."\nSophomore April Gonzales agreed: "He had a good rapport with students, I thought it went really well."\nMembers of College Republicans could not be reached for response to Perry's comments.