Board approves science building site

IU's board of trustees convened for their second public meeting of the year Friday. The trustees approved the site for the proposed Multidisciplinary Science Building and a new Bachelor of Science degree in nursing for the Bloomington campus.\nThe trustees unanimously voted to build the new science building in the area directly behind the Chemistry Building. Robert Meadows, University architect, said the site will meet the aesthetic and technical requirements of the building, which will be designed to run hi-tech measurement instruments.\n"We studied the general plan for the building and as a result looked at the sub-surface," Meadows said.\nCore samples were taken near the proposed site and Meadows said the high-quality rock found underground will allow for an optimal environment to use heat and pressure-sensitive instruments.\nAlthough a design for the building has not been drafted or approved, Meadows brought an example of a possible design to illustrate his presentation. That design included an above-ground building connecting to Myers Hall, a walk-way allowing students access to the path leading to Jordan Hall and an underground wing for operating the instruments needing a controlled environment.\n "In my estimation, this will probably become one of the most significant buildings on campus" Trustee Stephen Backer said. "I hope the whole University will celebrate its development."\n Trustees also voted on the addition of new degrees on all the IU campuses. The decision to add a Bachelor of Science program in Nursing received a unanimous vote from the trustees, because of the overwhelming need of students wanting to complete their nursing degree on the Bloomington campus.\n At the beginning of the general business meeting, John Walda, president of the board of trustees, and James Sherman, professor of psychology and president of the Bloomington Faculty Council, both addressed recent statements by various people that the quality of education at IU is on a downturn.\nWalda said many of these statements have grown out of college rankings published in magazines, such as U.S. News and World Report. Because these rankings are largely based on expenditures per student, Walda said schools such as IU and Purdue, which receive low state funding compared to most of the Big Ten, are at a disadvantage.\n"There is little evidence to support those expressions of concern. They would be better to look at the comparisons of academic reputation," Walda said. "These measurements put IU in a tie for fourth place in the Big Ten and 11th among all public universities."\nAfter joking that Walda had stolen a copy of his speech, Sherman went on to express similar views.\n"I've heard some faculty predict that we're heading down the road to hell," Sherman said. "These faculty are one of three types of faculty: disgruntled, pessimistic or people seeking to further their own agendas. The problem is, I believe most faculty are quiet: they stay, teach, do work and are not inclined to talk to the press. I generally feel the mood among the faculty is one of pride and optimism"