Auditorium concert opens String Cheese Incident tour

Jam band brings unique sound

Many concerts today are note-for-note replications of the artist's studio efforts, making the shows little more than a live performance of the album. Artists seem afraid to stretch their musical creativity on stage. These types of shows are entertaining, but since every show is similar, there is little reason to see the artist perform again.\nA small number of bands take a different approach to the concert experience. They try out new material, play songs in different ways and never repeat a setlist. These bands are pushing the musical bounds of the concert experience.\nAn indescribable energy flows between musicians and the audience that makes these shows even more memorable. As a result, these bands are amassing legions of dedicated fans who follow them across the country to bear witness to every note they play.\nThe String Cheese Incident is part of this new musical movement. Formed as a Colorado bluegrass group in 1993, the band has exploded onto the jam band scene in a manner similar to Phish and Widespread Panic.\nString Cheese Incident's growing national fan base relies heavily on word of mouth, the Internet and audience taping of shows. Their lineup consists of Michael Kang on violin and mandolin; Bill Nershi on acoustic guitar; Keith Moseley on bass; Kyle Hollingsworth on piano, organ, Rhodes and accordion; and Michael Travis on drums and percussion.\nThis instrumentation creates a unique sound. It is a mix of bluegrass, calypso, salsa, Afro-pop, funk, rock and jazz.\nConfusing as it might seem, String Cheese Incident has captured a sound unlike any other previous band. Each member comes from a different musical background and has brought these influences with them to form a blend that is fresh and fun to dance to.\nTo top all of this off, it has formed a strong business to back them up. The band created its own record label, appropriately titled Sci-Fidelity Records, which leaves them with total artistic control.\nAnd forget Ticketmaster, all tickets can also purchased through their ticketing agency. The Madison House travel agency provides all travel accommodations necessary to see the next show. This formula of music and business provides limitless opportunities for the band and its fans.\nThe String Cheese Incident kicks off its Fall Incidents 2000 Tour in Bloomington tonight at the Union Board-sponsored show in the IU Auditorium. Having sold out the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre last fall, even more fans will be able to experience SCI this time around.\nThe band's music is boundless and defies categorization. The crowd usually resembles a tight-knit family that welcomes all to experience the magic of an Incident.\nThe hula-hoop theme is an interesting side note. Many fans bring hula-hoops to shows to bring a new twist with dancing. This is entertaining to watch and enticing to try, although it is hard to master. A String Cheese concert is an unforgettable experience, and tonight should not be an exception.\nThe String Cheese Incident will perform at 9:30 p.m. tonight at the IU Auditorium. Tickets are still available, with prices at $24 and $20 for IU students. They can be purchased at the Auditorium box office or by phone at (812) 333-9955.