Around the game

Rowing kicks off 2nd season\nThe women's rowing team started its season Saturday with an intrasquad competition against the men's club team. The teams raced pairs, varsity fours and varsity eights around Lake Lemon two times.\n"Today was great," women's coach Mark Wilson said. "We put everyone in the race in race situations, and the beautiful weather really helped. All the boats did great out there, and now some of the newcomers and novice boats know what it's like to run a race."\nThe rowing team races against the the Chicago Chase Saturday and Head of the Rock Sunday in Rockford, Ill.\nFreshman wins in invitational\nFreshman Linda Tran won her singles finals match Sunday against junior Cheryl Mallaiah of Kansas 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (7) as the women's tennis team competed at its Fall Invitational at the Varsity Courts this weekend.\nTran joined junior Karie Schlukebir in the doubles final, but the two lost 9-8 to Larissa Chinwah and Nikki Thompson-Douglas of Western Michigan. \n"Linda had a great showing for her first collegiate tournament," coach Lin Loring said. "Winning singles speaks highly of her abilities. Losing doubles in the tie-breaker set with Karie was also an amazing effort."\nFreshman Martina Grimm, senior Jennifer Hsia, freshman Irina Kharun and Schlukebir were also winners of their singles matches Sunday.\nMen\'s golf places 3rd at invitational\nThe men's golf team tied for third place with the University of Michigan at the Northern Intercollegiate in Urbana, Ill. Purdue won the competition with a score of 889 (291-298-300) to IU's 897 (293-302-302). \nFreshman Mike Castleforte led the Hoosiers and finished fifth overall with a 220 (70-74-76). Senior Steve Wheatcroft placed eighth with a 221 (74-76-71). Sophomore Aldo Jordan finished 17th, freshman Kirk Wood tied for 74th and junior Rich Thomas placed 76th.