A vote for Nader is a vote for change

Politics doesn't have to be about a rich old boys club, glitzy dinner galas and obscene wads of money flying in from powerful corporate donors. Instead politics can be about you and your interests, regardless of who you know and who your daddy is. \nWhen most students think about the presidential election they probably feel they have four dismal options. \n1) Vote for Republican George W. Bush \n2) Vote for Democrat Al Gore \n3) Throw their vote away and vote for someone else, or \n4) Not to participate at all. \nI would like to propose voters have another option, voting for Ralph Nader and the Green Party. Some would argue that voting for Nader falls under the third choice, throwing their vote away, but they are wrong. Voting for Nader will actually make a difference, even though at this point he is likely to lose the election in November. However, everyone who votes for Nader is bound to win. \nCitizens who vote for Nader and the Greens in this coming election win for many reasons. They are building a strong third party that represents them. Votes for the Greens also force the political discussion to expand, from which we all can benefit.\nThird parties can and do make a difference! Countless times throughout this country's history, third party movements resulted in major reforms.\nThe abolitionist movement developed the Liberty Party in 1844 to take up the anti-slavery cause. The Free Soil Party and the upstart Republican Party continued the abolitionist movement until slavery was abolished under the 13th amendment. \nFrom 1892 to 1924 the Populist Party, the Socialist Party, the Bull Moose and Robert LaFollette's Progressive Party were at the forefront of reforms we take for granted today. Did you know these third parties are responsible for initiating the legalization of unions, environmental conservation, direct election of U.S. senators and other election reforms? Add to that a progressive income tax, the prohibition of child labor and anti-trust laws to stop monopolies and oligopolies, and you can see what an impact third parties make. \nEven Ross Perot's presidential bids caused the Republicans and Democrats to adopt many of his positions, such as reducing the national debt. \nNow Americans have a chance to vote for change once again by voting for Nader.\nHe offers a vital alternative to the average citizen at a time most Americans are fed up with the two-party system. This is fairly apparent when one looks at the results from the last election when Bill Clinton received only 23.6 percent of the votes from eligible voters, while 61 percent of eligible voters either chose not to vote or voted for a third party candidate. Nader and the Green Party hope to attract these disaffected citizens.\nA vote for Nader builds a strong third party, which, at the very least, acts as a watchdog to keep the Democrats and Republicans in line. In addition to this, by voting for Nader you push to end a racist institution, the death penalty, which both Gore and Bush support. \nA vote for Nader would help end the corporate buyouts of our politicians. Both Gore and Bush have already sold their souls to corporate fat cats. Nader has proposed such electoral reforms as real campaign finance reform, same day registration, proportional representation, the opening of the debates and instant runoff voting that almost all modern Western democracies can boast besides the United States. The list goes on. \nA vote for Nader is a vote for fair trade agreements instead of profit-first free trade agreements, which devastate the environment and abuse workers everywhere. If you want government to end the ineffective drug war and to push for universal health care, vote for Nader this November! \nIf not, government will keep ignoring these and other issues. Nader doesn't ignore these issues. By voting for him you will force government to be responsive to these issues.\nMake a change for the better this election. Sustainability, universal health care, fair trade and workers' rights are things that will affect your life for the better if you vote with your conscience. Walk away from the voting booth filled with optimism instead of defeat. Vote for Ralph Nader instead of settling for the lesser of two evils.\nFor information about the IU Green Party, please contact the organization at iugreens@indiana.edu.