Young players add depth

Team's offense, defense improve in Maryland tourney

The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores, men's soccer coach Jerry Yeagley said about sophomore forward Michael Bock in August.\nBock didn't play often for the Hoosiers last season but scored his first career goal, the game-winner, Sunday against No. 1 Virginia. After acting like a "deer in headlights" for much of last season, Bock has become more aggressive, Yeagley said. Bock has been a frequent substitute in IU games this season.\nHe scored four goals in an exhibition game against IU-Purdue University at Indianapolis in the spring. He tallied two goals in two exhibition games in August.\nBock's best asset might be his speed. He outsprints his teammates at practice with ease and captures loose balls better than his opponents.\n"He's still growing as a player," Yeagley said. "He's immature in some ways. But he causes problems with defense just with his athleticism, and he gets on the end of things."

Redemption after UCLA loss\nAfter they reviewed the taped match, the men's soccer players and their coaches knew the Hoosiers should have won against UCLA Sept. 2; IU outplayed the Bruins in the adidas/IU Credit Union Classic at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU also lost to Portland 3-0 Sept. 1 in the season opener.\n"Sometimes it takes a couple losses to get yourself a gut check because you remember that feeling, and you don't want it to happen again," Bock said. "It makes you push that much harder to win."\nIn the final game of the Maryland/FILA Classic, the Hoosiers again faced a deficit against a highly ranked team, as they trailed Virginia 1-0 after the first half. During halftime, the Hoosiers and their coaches discussed how to defeat an NCAA powerhouse that had returned most of its starters.\n"We were standing in there thinking if we lose this game, we're 1 and 3," senior forward Matt Fundenberger said. "It puts us in a hole. We win this game, then everyone in the nation knows we're for real. So that's what it was about: coming out, playing hard and getting the win.\n"That was big because now everyone knows we can play because we played two tough teams here. Last week's forgotten."

Key substitutions used to IU's advantage\nWhile the 2000 team doesn't have the three All-Americans from last year's NCAA championship team, Yeagley has said the Hoosiers are a deeper squad this season. Yeagley used that depth by often fiddling with lineups during both tournament games.\nThe IU forwards had not scored a goal in the three previous games before Sunday's win. Yeagley started freshman Vijay Dias in place of freshman Lucas Christian in the 2-1 win. Dias often effectively advanced the ball into Virginia's defensive third, while Christian was used as a substitute. \nYeagley also substituted Bock and moved junior Ryan Mack from midfield to the front. Mack tallied three assists in the tournament and was named to the all-tournament team.\nThe defense played better during the Maryland/FILA tournament (in which IU allowed five goals) than during the adidas/IU Credit Union Classic (in which IU permitted two goals). Yeagley said he was pleased with the performance of junior sweeper Josh Rife against Virginia. Rife made effective clears and steals in the 2-1 win.

Hoosiers receive tournament honors\nFundenberger was named the offensive MVP of the tournament, while senior goalkeeper Henry Ring of South Carolina was named the defensive MVP. Senior goalkeeper T.J. Hannig's two wins during the weekend gave him the second most all-time wins at IU. \nFundenberger, Hannig, Mack and Swann, who scored the winning goal in overtime Friday against Maryland, were named to the all-tournament team, giving IU the most players on the all-tournament team.\nIU won the tournament by a one-goal differential over South Carolina. The Gamecocks also defeated Virginia 2-1 and Maryland 1-0.\nYeagley said Mack and sophomore midfielder Pat Noonan didn't have the weekend they're capable of. Neither scored in the tournament. \n"When one of your best players has an off-weekend, and you can still find a way to win, maybe that's a positive," Yeagley said. "I think we definitely had a team effort. We had a lot of people step up"