Students work for rape prevention education

Students gathered beneath the Sample Gates Tuesday, in protest of what they call the administration's lack of effort to prevent sexual assault on campus, alleging that 400 rapes occur at IU annually.\nProtest organizer Todd Paddock, a graduate student, said his purpose was to persuade the administration to mandate an educational program for all incoming IU students during orientation with regards to sexual assault.\n"The administration wishes to attract students to the campus, and they would ideally not wish to broadcast the prevalence of rape, but they must address it," Paddock said. "For one dollar per student it would be possible to bring the proper education to students. Why hasn't it been done?"\nPaddock said Steve Thompson, a consultant from Central Michigan University, is planning to meet with members of the administration Thursday to speak on behalf of the sexual assault program that is mandatory at Central Michigan University.\nDean of Students Richard McKaig was the main impetus behind Thompson's visit, bu the acknowledged the logistics of such a program being implemented by next year are questionable.\n"It is quite possible that it may even be cheaper then a dollar per student to employ such a program, and it would be wonderful to see that kind of funding made available, but I do not have sufficient information yet to determine whether or not it could be mandated at IU," McKaig said.\nPaddock also pointed out that IU quite abruptly offered a $50,000 reward following the disappearance of Jill Behrman, but cannot conjure sufficient funds for a firm prevention program.\n"Let's give the administration credit for their search on Jill Behrman," Paddock said. "But aren't the 400 victims at IU worth that kind of support?"\nJulie Thomas, a graduate student and organizer of Thursday's "Take Back the Night" rally, said the administration's current efforts are not strong enough to prevent rape.\n"There are currently programs available at IU, to council victims," Thomas said. "But reaction assistance does not stop rape!"\nLt. Jerry Minger of the IU Police Department agreed with the protester's aim to educate students, but disagreed stongly with in their "conservative estimate" of 400 rapes annually and their perceptions of the administration's concern.\n"The number was not derived from any factual data from the police or anything linked to sexual assault at IU," Minger said. "Nor do I think the administration has turned a blind-eye on the issue."\nBut Minger acknowledged that while there were only five rapes reported last year, only an estimated 12 to 25 rapes ever go reported.\n"The IUPD nor IU has ever done an anonymous survey with regards to rape," Paddock said. "Most victims as we know feel shame, and therefore never report it. We have used reliable and conservative national data from the FBI."\nThe protest at the corner of Kirkwood and Indiana avenues was a small one. Several branch-signs waived and most speeches concluded with strident whistle-blowing, yet the protest at times boasted more media onlookers than students.\n"I would have liked to have seen a larger turnout, but the effect of the protest will ultimately be measured by whether or not we have an impact on the administration," Paddock said. "And if 10 protesters can make a change, then I'm happy"