Staff shortage causes early closings of food courts

Students in Wright, Foster complain about schedules

Students living in the residence halls have noticed changes in the two food courts on campus: The Wright Place and Foster Gresham food court. Many of these students have complained that these food courts have not had enough food to satisfy their needs by the end of the evening.\nSandy Porter, Wright Quad dining hall manager, said it is not that there is a shortage of food, but that this year, the two food courts have had to close certain "concepts" (eateries) early to meet budget and labor needs. The concepts that close early include The Mein Street Wok, Block and Barrel Deli and Arezzio at Foster Gresham food court, and Chester Chicken, The Mein Street Wok, and Block and Barrell Deli at the Wright Place, said Porter.\n"We are closing these particular concepts for a couple of reasons," said Tony Mangin, Foster Gresham dining hall manger. "We were given the mandate by the University's budget committee to meet our budget that was formulated over a year ago, and they wanted us to show specific ways that we would accomplish this feat."\nResidential Programs and Services Dining Halls Director Sandra Fowler said lack of labor is one of the factors that lead to the closing of these concepts.\n"We have a shortage of student staff that are willing to work, especially at the food courts," Fowler said. "By closing those labor intensive concepts we are able to keep the concepts that we think students want open later."\nFowler said that to keep these concepts that involve more labor and preparation, such as Chester Chicken, the dining halls would need several more staff members, which they do not now have.\nMangin said the two dining halls also had to cut food costs to meet budget. Keeping certain concepts open during hours that were not considered "peak hours," generally from 5-8 p.m., was not cost-effective for the dining halls.\n"The food service arm of RPS hasn't met budget for a while," Mangin said. "The different ways to save money in food service in a University setting are in food costs, food waste and in labor savings. The labor that it takes to run every concept until 12 a.m. isn't cost-effective."\nNevertheless, students said they still feel the food courts run out of certain food items that they want later in the evening -- in addition to the closed services.\n"The fruit bars are usually out of certain fruit by night time, and they don't restock it until the next morning," said freshman Michelle Ford.\nFowler said at the beginning of each school year, dining halls can run out of certain foods, because staff have not adjusted ordering food to meet the eating patterns of students. Fowler said the two food courts might not be experiencing a food shortage, but students might be dissatisfied if the concept they want food from is not open, making it seem that the food court has a shortage of food.\nPorter said that despite having to close certain concepts before midnight, neither dining hall has experienced any loss in business.\n"We are still busy," Porter said. "Our business doesn't reflect (anyone) being dissatisfied."\nFowler and Mangin both said that with the changes that occur in students' dining habits and the financial needs of RPS, the atmosphere of the dining halls changes from yearly.\n"This is an ongoing, ever-changing atmosphere that will continue to evolve with everyone's input," Mangin said.\nRPS is now in need of more student employment in both food courts to keep concepts open and fully staffed, Porter said. Students can apply directly to each food court, she said.