New tri-captain steps up for men's soccer team

Hoosiers beat Florida International in classic

INDIANAPOLIS ' Pat Noonan stood next to his teammates at midfield with a black-and-white captain's armband on his left bicep before Sunday's match at the Butler Classic.\nAs a newly named tri-captain and only the fourth sophomore captain in the men's soccer program, Noonan scored the goal for IU in a 1-0 win against Florida International University.\nSenior goalkeeper T.J. Hannig, another tri-captain, broke the school record for career shutouts with his No. 39 shutout yesterday.\nIn their seven games, the Hoosiers (4-3) have yet to score a goal in the first half. Numerous scoring opportunities were botched throughout the game, including a few shots by junior midfielder Ryan Mack in the first half.\n"We've been going through a drought," coach Jerry Yeagley said about the lack of scoring. "And yet I told the guys today they need to find a way to win 1-0 like we did last year in overtime. And we've got to be better defensively, which was crucial today."\nSophomore midfielder Phil Presser flicked a long pass to sophomore forward Michael Bock 87 minutes into the game. Mack then pushed the ball forward to Noonan, who was left alone in front of the FIU goal. Noonan scored off his left foot and pumped his fist to celebrate the first of seven shots that scored.\nAfter getting off four shots in the first half, the Hoosiers kept the ball in the offensive third for almost every minute in the second half. IU outshot the Golden Panthers 11-2 in the final 45 minutes.\nEarly in the second half, with the FIU goal unattended by its goalie, Bock cranked a shot that ricocheted off FIU senior midfielder Daouda Kante. IU senior midfielder Justin Tauber later guided a header toward the goal, but it fell wide.\nLate in the first half, Mack received a high pass from Bock. Mack leaped horizontally, but scissor-kicked the ball wide of goal.\nSeconds later, Noonan kneeled on the ground and put his forehead to the grass as he watched a header miss the goalie box.\n"Our final touch, our composure wasn't there completely," Noonan said. "We eventually get one (goal), but it always seems to be in the last 15 minutes. We had plenty of opportunities once again, but we just couldn't get that last touch and put it in the net. We finally got one, but just a little late."\nFor the first time this season, the Hoosiers played with an inverted pyramid defense to allow midfielders Mack and Noonan to move into scoring position. Tauber and Presser played as defensive midfielders and helped restrict FIU to two shots in the second half.\nUntil Friday, Hannig had never lost more than two games in a season. He earned a shutout Sunday after allowing four goals in Friday's loss. \n"It's a nice honor, but more importantly we were able to get the win, which we really needed," he said. "As long as we keep winning, it doesn't matter. We can give up two or three goals as long as we win."\nYeagley started eight members of last year's national championship game roster Sunday to secure a lineup that would have pride and experience, he said.\nSunday's win was IU's fifth game in 10 days, and the team was faster Sunday than in Friday's 4-1 loss to Creighton. Yeagley said he made bad judgement in scheduling Wednesday's game against IUPUI. He had planned to play reserves during the 2-0 win but had to keep starters in a hard-fought contest.\n"I said, 'If we can get through that first third (of the season), that first month with a winning record, we'll be in good position to start Big Ten and regional play,'" Yeagley said. "And that's what we start this week. Right now, I told the guys, 'I don't want you to think about soccer, to kick a ball, for two days. Get away from it, and when you come back Wednesday, I want those batteries fully recharged and refreshed.' So right now it's a case of physical and mental regeneration"