Men's soccer begins weekend with victory

Sophomore marking back scores game-winning goal

COLLEGE PARK, Md. ' A men's soccer player and a coach joked after IU's 2-1 overtime win Friday against Maryland that when no one else can score a goal, just "dial 1-800-BACK."\nMarking back John Swann, a junior, notched the winning goal off a corner kick from junior midfielder Ryan Mack in the 102nd minute. In the 77th minute, freshman defensive back David Prall knocked in his first career goal off another Mack corner kick. Defensive midfielder Justin Tauber, a senior, also assisted on the goal.\n"Tauber was coming across, I slid across in front of my man, and it hit me and went into goal," said Prall, a freshman. "It felt real good."\nBecause his forwards haven't tallied goals this season, Yeagley said he stressed to his players to score off restarts. IU scored its two goals on corner kicks and earned several free kicks. The Hoosiers' defense often allowed Maryland to advance the ball into the Hoosiers' backfield.\n"I'm still not pleased with our team defending, and we need to improve," Yeagley said. "There are too many situations that should be routinely handled that weren't. And we still need to get better. We still have a long way to go."\nFreshman midfielder Bryan Vitagliano notched a goal for the Terrapins in the 76th minute. Less than a minute later, IU players got into a shoving match with Maryland players near the Terrapins' goal. The tussle ended with a foul called on a Maryland player, which resulted in an IU free kick that led to a Mack corner kick and Prall's goal.\nSenior forward Matt Fundenberger left the game in the first half with a cut on his face. Yeagley used freshmen Vijay Dias and Sasha Barber, and sophomore Michael Bock to replace Fundenberger.\nBefore the overtime period, Yeagley said he told his players that champions could find the strength to win despite fatigue. The Hoosiers (1-2) have won their past 11 overtime matches. With about three minutes left in overtime, Swann recovered the ball and directed it into the Maryland goal.\n"I'm not a goal scorer," Swann said. "I'm just up there to set plays and just trying to get trash goals. I was just up at the right place at the right time. Just like it's done in a dream, really"