Memorials dedicated to former professors

"If a man would move the world, he must first move himself," the classical philosopher Socrates is credited with having said. Friday afternoon outside Sycamore Hall the department of philosophy remembered three former faculty members who influenced others by first challenging themselves.\nAbout 60 people witnessed the dedication of memorials to Henry Veatch, K. Jon Barwise, and Hector-Neri Castaneda. Philosophy Chair Karen Hanson presided over the ceremony. Also among the attendees were IU President Myles Brand, Professor Emeritus Milton Fisk, Professor J. Michael Dunn, and Professor Paul Eisenberg.\nA pink dogwood tree was dedicated to Veatch; a beech tree to Barwise; and a bench to Castaneda. The red brick path that winds around the memorials and through the quiet Wells Quad now also features a series of granite inlays, each reading "Philosopher\'s Path, September 8, 2000."\nBefore dedicating the memorials, professors shared memories of their three honored colleagues.\n"One thing I remember about Henry Veatch is that he was a peacemaker," Fisk said. \nVeatch joined the department in the '30s, at a time when philosophy was "a very different entity" than it is now, Fisk said.\nDuring a period in which idealism was the prevailing philosophy, Veatch realized the importance of promoting a variety of approaches to philosophy. He sought to achieve a balance in the department between analytic and idealist thought. Veatch worked for over 30 years at IU, then spent several years at Northwestern and Georgetown Universities before returning to Bloomington.\nFisk said Veatch will be remembered as a world class researcher, a first-rate professor, and a first-rate citizen of the University.\nThe department also honored K. Jon Barwise for his research work. Barwise authored or co-authored 11 books and "prided himself in collaboration," Dunn said.\nBarwise worked with both graduates and undergraduates and helped develop a software program to teach students introductory logic. Dunn emphasized Barwise\'s commitment to service and noted Barwise served on various University committees. \n"His was a heart to have trouble saying no," Dunn said.\nCastaneda was remembered as a pioneer in the study of the history of philosophy of science. Eisenberg recalled that Castaneda, before his death in 1984, could often be seen around campus in a favorite t-shirt that featured Renaissance philosopher Galileo. Castaneda functioned as a mediator between the history and philosophy departments, Eisenberg said.\nGraduate philosophy student Joshua Shaw said he devoted part of his Friday afternoon to attending the ceremony because "it\'s important to come out and honor (the professors') memories." Shaw said during his freshman year, Barwise helped ease his concerns about the study of logic. Shaw said he would run into Barwise nearly every Friday at the City Lights movie series showings, where the two discussed philosophy at length.\nWhile Barwise, Veatch and Castaneda are recognized as intellectual leaders in their field, on Friday they were remembered just as much for their enthusiasm and concern for their colleagues and students at IU. For those who did not know these three professors, the Philosopher\'s Path, with its markers that reflect the rustling of the trees overhead, still invites introspection on how to move one's self.