Local jazz violinist to play

Recent IU graduate and jazz violinist Sara Caswell will perform selections from her debut album today at Bear's Place, 1316 E. Third St., at 5:30 p.m. She will be accompanied by her sister, Rachel Caswell, on vocals, Jack Helsey on bass and Pat Harbison on trumpet. Admission is $5 at the door.\nCaswell released her first CD, First Song, on Double Time Records in July. It features arrangements of songs by such legends as Thelonius Monk ("Bemsha Swing") and Kurt Weill ("Speak Low"), as well as several tunes written by Caswell herself. A past crowd pleaser written by Caswell is "Anna's Song," a tribute to her late cat, which died of a brain tumor. \nCaswell has been studying the violin since she was a child and has played with such luminaries as Johnny Frigo and Claude Williams. A regular teacher at a summer fiddle camp in Tennessee, she is working on getting an Artist's Diploma from the IU School of Music. \nCaswell will be joined by a veteran group. Harbison, an associate professor, is a veteran of numerous concerts and recording sessions, and a regular at Bear's Jazz Fables. Helsey has appeared in recent concerts, including "Cool Jazz, Hot Summer Nights" series last July. He is also a member of the jazz fusion group Beeblebrox. \nRachel Caswell is an IU alumna, has a Master's degree from the New England Conservatory of Music, and has also won several singing competitions. She is particularly good at matching her voice to her sister's violin playing.\nSpeaking just before her debut concert at the John Waldron Arts Center this past summer, Sara Caswell said, "I love my sister's voice because of the instrumental quality." She said she and her sister have a chemistry that allows them to synchronize their voices, what she terms "a sibling thing."\nRachel Caswell, who also studied the cello at IU, has been influenced by her study of instruments in addition to voice. Last July, preparing for her concert at the IU Art Museum, Rachel said, "A lot of the really good improvisers, like Louie Armstrong or Bobby McFerran have come from a tradition where they played another instrument because they know the theory behind it. I try to take a little bit from everyone, not just singers"