Knight's firing will stunt basketball program

As I woke up this morning, I was dismayed to hear about the recent decision of President Myles Brand. As a student at IU, I came to Bloomington because of one reason: Indiana basketball. Even more than the fact that the state of Indiana is known for basketball, it is known for one man. A man who revolutionized college basketball, and even more, the state of Indiana ' Coach Knight. When everybody asks me why I choose Indiana, I always have said because of Mr. Knight. The firing of him will forever stunt the Indiana basketball program. To the players of the team, who came to IU knowing of Coach Knight and wanted to play with him, I offer you the deepest apology on behalf on my University. The president of this University has done you a grave misfortune. I hope that you can find it in your hearts to stay here at IU. \nMr. Knight is an icon in this University. I remember going to the local barbershop in town, next to White Mountain Ice Creamery, and I was always lectured about the man that changed Indiana basketball, coach Knight. \nWhat has this University done? It has allowed the allegations of a single student to destroy a basketball program that has long been associated with coach Knight. President Brand talks so fondly of civility and appropriate behavior. Maybe someone should teach this freshman some civility? I hope that in four years this student will learn not to call people by their last name. Coach Knight deserves respect and should have been referred to as everybody else does ' Coach Knight or Mr. Knight. Calling someone by their last name only is uncivil and coach Knight did what should have been done, not allow incivility.\nI wish Coach Knight the best luck in the future, but as a student here at IU, I will never again be able to put on the red and white and root for Indiana sports, knowing they would allow one of the best college basketball coaches in the history of the NCAA.