Graham returns kickoffs, contributes as a receiver

Kentucky's Brandon Sanders boots a kickoff high into the lights at Commonwealth Stadium.\nThe ball sails to the 13-yard line where IU junior Derin Graham catches it and instinctively runs full speed down the middle of the field.\nHe reaches the 20-yard line where he's greeted by a horde of Kentucky tacklers. Without fear, Graham jumps into the pile. He spins twice, and then, amazingly, Graham balances himself with one hand, breaking free from the pile. \n Now, it's a sprint to the endzone. Graham uses his blazing speed to avoid tacklers. Graham is finally dragged down at the Kentucky one-yard line. Junior Antwaan Randle El scores on a quarterback keeper the next play, giving IU a 25-14 lead midway through the second quarter against a dangerous opponent on the road.\n"I just jumped and went into (the pile), hoping something would happen," Graham said. "It's just instinct. It just happened. I was amazed I went through (the pile), and I tried to get to the endzone as fast as I can."\nIU went on to lose the game 41-34, but it wasn't because Graham didn't do his part. He recorded 144 yards on four kickoff returns and added 41 receiving yards on three catches.\nGraham's return against the Wildcats is already making its way into highlight reels. \nHow many times has a player jumped into a pile on a kickoff return, only to reappear two seconds later with nobody near him?\n"On the kickoff return I was thinking 'Great job -- he didn't fumble or anything,'" senior wide receiver and Graham's roommate Versie Gaddis said. "But then he came out of the pack and it was one of the most amazing runs I've seen in my life. It's probably one of the greatest kickoff returns you'll ever see."\nSome of the fans who watched the IU/Kentucky game on ESPN2 last Saturday might remember Graham as the player who made the amazing kickoff return. But Graham has meant more to the Hoosiers than one play. \nGraham leads the Big Ten in kickoff return yardage with 291 yards in two games. The next player on the list is Iowa's Kahlil Hill, who trails Graham by 110 yards. IU's kickoff return specialist also leads the conference, averaging 32.3 yards per return, which is also good for sixth in the nation.\nReturning kickoffs for big yardage is nothing new for Graham. He's in his third season as IU's kick return specialist. Graham has returned two kickoffs for touchdowns in his career, including one for 100 yards against Wisconsin, Oct. 3, 1998. The return tied an IU record set in 1915 by Freal McIntosh.\n"When I go into a game I feel I can run a kick back every game," Graham said. "I think that's a big part of my game and making plays is a big part of special teams. I just take that upon myself and I know my teammates are going to help out."\nIn addition to the return against Kentucky, Graham made a big return in the season opener against North Carolina State. With less than one minute remaining and the Hoosiers trailing by three points, Graham busted a 54-yard return down the left side of the field. Graham's return resulted in IU starting its final drive at the North Carolina State 44-yard line. \n"He takes a lot of pride in being a return man," Gaddis said. "He really enjoys the kickoff and punt return. Last year he didn't get that many opportunities because they kicked it away from him. Early in the season he's trying to take advantage of those opportunities."\nWhen he's not returning kicks or punts, Graham is IU's third receiver. After catching just one pass for eight yards against North Carolina State, Graham had more opportunities against Kentucky, catching three passes for 41 yards. Graham's return was the "Play of the Game" against the Wildcats, but he also made a drive-saving, 12-yard reception on a third-down play in the third quarter.\n"He's done an excellent job," coach Cam Cameron said. "He's improved as a returner, and he's improved as a receiver. Now he just needs to continue doing that for the next nine weeks"