Goalie earns Big Ten Honors

Injury at practice leaves Hannig's status uncertain

Behind a crowd of IU defenders and Michigan State offensemen, senior goalkeeper T.J. Hannig got up from a kneel to recover the soccer ball and save a potential Spartan goal Sunday.\nThe crucial save helped the men's soccer team win the game 1-0 and earned Hannig Big Ten Soccer Player of the Week honors Tuesday. With Hannig as goalie, IU has not given up a goal in three consecutive games.\n"He came up big," coach Jerry Yeagley said. "And like we said in the beginning (of the season), he's going to have to keep us in some games."\nTuesday, while his teammates practiced in the setting sun at Bill Armstrong Stadium, Hannig sat with a trainer, who looked at his left knee. Hannig injured his left knee or hamstring at Tuesday's practice and will have it re-evaluated today.\nAs he stopped a shot Tuesday, Hannig felt something pull in his left leg. It was painful at first, he said, but the pain subsided. The seriousness of the injury won't be known until today, trainer Joe Lueken said Tuesday. Hannig has played every minute of every game this season for IU.\nAnd with all of Hannig's starts, the Hoosiers have converted four shutouts this season. He tops IU's all-time list with 41 shutouts.\nHannig has had to step up this season for the Hoosiers, who returned few defenders from last year's national championship team. Since allowing four goals in a loss to Creighton Sept. 15, Hannig has not permitted a team to score against him.\n"Once we got the first shutout (against IU-Purdue University at Indianapolis), everyone said that's how we should be playing," said Hannig, a National Player of the Year candidate. "Our confidence snowballed after that."\nThroughout the season, Yeagley has said Hannig needs to be an outspoken leader and play with aggressiveness to help the newcomers on defense. Hannig has responded by becoming more vocal, but his best work of the season remains to be seen.\n"I think he really hasn't been tested this year," junior midfielder Ryan Mack said. "I think he's gotten a lot more confidence in the last couple of games, but I don't think he's really been tested, but his game is coming along."\nWith nine games remaining in the regular season, Hannig needs five wins to surpass Scott Coufal (1993-96) for most career victories at IU. Hannig has 62 all-time wins.\nIU faces No. 2 Penn State at 7:30 p.m. Friday in State College, Pa. The Hoosiers defeated the Nittany Lions three times last season, including a game in the NCAA quarterfinals. Hannig said the defense needs to play at a more consistent basis, but credits the improvement of junior sweeper Josh Rife, sophomore marking back John Swann and freshman marking back David Prall on IU's recent success.\n"He seems to be now concentrating more on his game and his role," Yeagley said, "rather than perhaps trying to do the job of the defenders, as well as worrying about them as they're developing"