Freshman defender makes first appearance for soccer team

INDIANAPOLIS ' Matt Ahumada hadn't played a minute with the men's soccer team until Friday's loss against Creighton, but coach Jerry Yeagley couldn't stop talking about the freshman defender before the season began.\nA medial collateral ligament injury has kept Ahumada on the bench. He suffered the injury before the season began.\nHe said he wanted to play Sept. 10 during IU's 2-1 win against Virginia. He had to watch his team upset then-No. 1 Virginia. As players left the game with heat problems, Ahumada turned to Yeagley and told the coach he could enter the game.\nYeagley had already decided Ahumada wouldn't play because his knee injury, but Yeagley liked Ahumada's persistence.\n"He's tough," Yeagley said. "I don't think most people would be where he is at this point."\nA Scottsdale, Ariz., native, Ahumada was named a Regional Player of the Year in high school. His poise and maturity helped earn him a start at the sweeper position in Sunday's 1-0 win against Florida International University. \nHe replaced junior Josh Rife, but left the game 10 minutes later with cramps. Rife played the remainder of the game as sweeper.\nAhumada also started the second half as sweeper in IU's 4-1 loss to Creighton. He entered the game with white tape wrapped from his right thigh to below his knee. He often used his bandaged leg to rocket the ball across the midfield with a lot of top spin.\nThe Bluejays scored three goals in the second half.\n"I think Mattie came in a difficult situation and played extremely well," senior goalkeeper T.J. Hannig said. "He stabilized things back there and cleared balls out well. I told him before that he was going to be all-hyped up, and he just needs to channel the energy. And he did a really nice job for us."\nYeagley said he was also pleased with Ahumada's performance. Rife started the game as sweeper, then re-entered the second half as a midfielder.\nYeagley wanted Ahumada to play in Wednesday's 2-0 win against IUPUI at Bill Armstrong Stadium, but Yeagley said he hoped to enter the freshman in a non-pressure situation. The plan was scrapped as the Hoosiers entered half time scoreless against the Jaguars. \nIU was down Friday 1-0 against Creighton when Ahumada entered. He was put into the situation because Yeagley said he thought the team needed someone to spark the team. \nAhumada practiced for prolonged periods of time last week, but removed himself from scrimmages when he felt discomfort in his knee.\n"I needed to take my time with this injury and let it heal completely," Ahumada said after Friday's game. "Otherwise, it could haunt me for the rest of my career. So I'm glad I took my time."\nWho plays the sweeper position is still a big question. Yeagley grins as he talks about Ahumada's toughness. His tenacity is unique for a 17-year-old. The sweeper needs to be arrogant, shout commands and act as the last line of defense before the goalkeeper, Yeagley said.\nRife continues to become more vocal, more confident and more talented. He has played seven games as a sweeper. He was a midfielder at Texas Christian before he transferred to IU. While Rife played as a midfielder at TCU, Ahumada was one of the nation's most-touted defenders in high school.\nBut Ahumada still has pain in his right knee.\n"It's going to be a tough one," Yeagley said after Sunday's game. "It's going to be tough to move Josh out there and yet find a way for Matt to help the team"