Exhibit to examine Vietnam War

The Vietnam War has made an unforgettable imprint on American society.\nAnd an exhibit in Indianapolis will look at its lasting impact.\nAccording to a press release, the Indianapolis Arts Center, will featuring six exhibitions entitled "The Art Of Combat: Artists and the Vietnam War, Then and Now" from Oct. 27 through Jan. 7. The exhibitions, as well as an Oct. 28 discussion symposium, are intended to help civilians and veterans understand how active combat in Vietnam affected the participating visual and literary artists. All artwork on display is by Central Indiana veterans of the Vietnam conflict.\nA public reception will be held to honor the artists Friday from 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Sen. Robert Kerrey (D-Neb.) will give the keynote address in Frank M. Basile Auditorium in the center. Costs for the reception are $15, and a private patron party with the senator will be held Friday.\nDuring the Vietnam War, the U.S. Army operated the Combat Artist Program, which picked soldiers with artistic training and assigned them to "paint what they saw" in combat zones. With no restrictions on themes, geography or subject matter, these artists drew, painted and sculpted their vision of the war. A selection of works created between 1966 and 1971 by 37 of these artists will be on view, along with a one-person show of work by former Combat Artist Richard Emery Nickolson, a faculty member at the Herron School of Art in Indianapolis.\nIndianapolis Art Center hours are 9 a.m. ' 10 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. ' 6 p.m. Saturday and noon to 3 p.m. Sunday. For more information, call the Art Center at (317) 255-2464.