Dogs, owners to raise money for Monroe County Humane Society in annual walk

Bloomington residents participate in "Walk for the Animals"

Some Bloomington residents are looking forward to dunking for hot dogs and walking through the city on a leash.\nThese residents -- Bloomington-area dogs -- are anticipating the "Walk for the Animals" event from 1 - 4 p.m. Sunday at Third Street Park. \nThe event, sponsored by the Monroe County Humane Association, will feature live music, education tables, door prizes and a dog rescue demonstration. State Rep. Mark Kruzan (D-61) will emcee a trivia contest, said Shirley Davies, president of the MCHA board of directors.\nDogs can dunk for hot dogs and play "musical sit," or musical chairs without actual chairs. Because cats cannot usually walk with their owners, there will be a cat photo contest, according to the MCHA Web site. Humans and animals can run through agility courses.\nThe walk will begin at 2 p.m., Davies said, and will start at the park, travel down Kirkwood Avenue and around the Monroe County Courthouse.\nShe said about 600 people and 200 animals participated in the walk last year.\nParticipants can raise money or donate it to the organization, although it is not required. Pledges can be made before the event starts Sunday, Davies said. Prizes participants can win include an Oliver Winery balloon ride and quilt. She said last year the walk raised about $12,000. \nMaria Heslin, chairperson of the marketing and Web committee of the MCHA Board of Directors, said the event is a celebration of animals.\n"All year long we talk about the importance of spaying and neutering and about more serious issues, and this is just a day to come and enjoy the love of pets."\nShe said although people have had a good time, the animals really have fun. \n"It's just amazing how you see 200 of the most excited, exhilarated lively dogs," Heslin said. "You've never seen more tails wagging in a concentrated area than you ever will again"