Bush has rally in Indy today

Texas Gov. George W. Bush will speak at a public rally at 12:15 p.m. today in Indianapolis at the Indianapolis International Airport's Aviation Technology Center.\nHe will be traveling from Milwaukee to Indiana, which hasn't voted for a Democratic presidential candidate since Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964.\nBush will attend the rally and a $1,000-per-person dinner at the Westin hotel to show his appreciation for the support he has received from the state, said Mike McDaniel, Indiana Republican Party and Indiana Bush for President chairman. Bush's wife, Laura, will accompany him.\nMcDaniel said it is unusual for a candidate to make a stop in a state he or she feels somewhat confident of winning in an election.\nBush remains ahead among Indiana voters. In a poll commissioned by The Indianapolis Star of 600 registered Indiana voters taken Aug. 24-27, Bush leads Vice President Al Gore 47 points to 38 points.The margin of error was plus or minus 4 percent.\n"They have a nice lead here," McDaniel said.\nA second trip to Indiana at a later date is possible ' either to the northern or extreme southern portion of the state, he said.\nBush will talk about tackling tough problems during economic prosperity. He said the problems have grown worse during the Clinton-Gore administration, according to a press release from Bush's campaign office.\nA campaign stop by Gore is also possible, said Doug Davidoff, communications director of the Indiana Democratic Party. He said chairman Robin Winston invited Gore and vice presidential contender Joe Lieberman to the state during the Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles. Davidoff said Winston feels there is a reasonable chance at least one of the two will make an appearance.\nHe said although Bush leads in the polls, the race in Indiana could be close.\n"It's clearly within striking distance," he said.\nThe rally today is free and no tickets are required. Those wishing to attend should enter the Center from West Washington Street.