'Big Red Reg' registers new voters

"Big Red Reg 2000," a comprehensive campus-wide voter registration program, is looking for new registrants and volunteers alike. The program, in its third year, was instituted by the Indiana Public Interest Research Group, in cooperation with the Muslim Student Union, IU Student Association, Student Environmental Action Committee and Hoosiers for Higher Education.\nSophomore Hope Marasco, campaign coordinator, explained why voters should register in Bloomington.\n"There are basically three reasons why a person would need to register in Monroe County: If you have never registered in Indiana or have never registered at all, if you need to change your registration address in Indiana or if you changed your name," she said. "And really, the only reasons to vote absentee are if you want to vote for a friend or relative or if you want to vote for a third-party candidate like Ralph Nader who isn't on the ballot in Indiana. With those exceptions, you really need to register here."\nThe goal for "Big Red Reg" this year was initially set at 500 new registrants, but Marasco said she hopes to see that number rise above 1,000 new registrants. After only eight days of registering, Marasco said more than 250 were collected.\nNew voters are not only desirable but also needed, said INPIRG board chairman Jonathan Weidert, a junior.\n"In my opinion, this is the most important presidential race of our lifetime, so anyone who cares about their school, their future or their country should vote," he said. "And (local elections) are equally important, though not as publicized." \nAndy Revelle, a graduate student who distributed voter registration cards to his discussion sections for "Big Red Reg," said he is pleased with the classroom approach to voter registration that the program is taking this year. \n"This way they don't really have to do anything; they don't have to stop if they're already in class," he said. "They can just hand it in to me and this way they also don't have to buy a stamp."\nVoter registration forms are available in Maxwell Hall and at the Justice Building downtown to students who do not encounter "Big Red Reg." Voting registration deadline to vote in the Nov. 7 election is midnight, Oct. 1.\nMarasco said voter registration is not only a perk, but also a necessity.\n"We've got to make students understand that they have a voice by increasing the availability of registration and showing them how easy it is to take ownership of their right to the political process," she said. "Our age demographic has a really poor turnout, and it's such a shame."\nCoordinators are looking for students willing to run tables and to give presentations in classes. Interested persons can visit the INPIRG office in room 470A of the Indiana Memorial Union or by calling at 856-4128.