An ethical conundrum

Today's topic is sponsorship, specifically the IDS' sponsorship of Bob Knight's farewell address Wednesday, Sept. 13 at Dunn Meadow.\nI've been hearing some grumbling and arguing in and around the School of Journalism about the ethics of a news organization, such as the IDS, sponsoring such a news-oriented event.\n I've also received feedback from IDS readers accusing the newspaper of trying to create the news instead of simply reporting the news. \nBefore I go any further, it should be noted that several other campus and community organizations helped make Knight's recent speech to the IU student body possible, so the IDS was not acting alone. These organizations included the Indiana Memorial Union, Frazier Audio, the IU Auditorium, the Society of Professional Journalists, the IU Police Department, the IU Office of Communications and Marketing, Zeta Beta Tau and the IU Student Activities Office.\nThe fact that these other groups and organizations were involved in organizing the event does not in any way diminish the seriousness of the philosophical charges brought against the IDS. Anyone who attended Knight's farewell address could clearly see the IDS logo splashed across the front of the podium from which the former coach spoke. Also, teams of IDS employees in red shirtswere scurrying around to and fro before, during and after the address.\nWatching all of this transpire from my inconspicuous (the ombudsman doesn't get to wear a red IDS shirt) location off to the side of the Dunn Meadow stage, I couldn't help but think: "Are these people in the red shirts supposed to be student journalists or event security team members? And if I bum-rush the stage, will they beat me upside the head with a camera or notebook before escorting me off the premises?"\nIndeed, one is also forced to wonder how, after more than two decades of animosity toward the student newspaper, Knight agreed to be interviewed at his home by the IDS. It was suggested by one reader that Knight and the IDS had a "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" sort of deal worked out, wherein Knight would invite an IDS reporter and photographer to his home for an interview in exchange for the newspaper's help in setting up a public event where he could say his goodbyes and take a few parting shots at the administration that fired him. \nRegardless of the veracity of this theory, the IDS just happens to be one of the most prominent campus organizations that is not financially affiliated with IU. As such, it has the freedom and independence to use its own resources in situations that many University-dependent groups cannot. Realizing this, the management staff of the IDS came to the quick but difficult decision to sponsor Knight's address. The ethics of such a decision are indeed questionable. But I think the IDS was forced to ask itself "If we don't, who will?" because the University, having immediately terminated Knight's tenure as coach, was under no obligation to provide him with a public forum.\nMedia ethics, just like its practitioners, are shifty. What is acceptable for publication or broadcast in one medium might not be so for another, and certain newsgathering techniques might be upheld as ideal or condemned as unethical. The IDS certainly flirted with the latter by sponsoring Knight's address. In doing so, it also ran the risk of public embarrassment and humiliation, as its editors were afraid that Knight, out of spite or just to play a practical joke, wouldn't even show up to the event they had organized for him. \nBut of much greater importance is the risk to the newspaper's reputation. In the minds of some readers, the integrity and credibility of the IDS have suffered because of its sponsorship of a public, newsworthy event. Yes, some damage has been done. Now, readers of the IDS might be more skeptical of what they read in the newspaper. \nOnly time will tell if the damage is permanent. In my mind and in the mind of many others, I suspect, the risk was worth it. The event went off without a hitch, and those in attendance, both supporters and critics alike, went away with a sense of closure.\nIndeed, stepping up and giving Knight the chance to finish off his memorable IU career with a speech to those who made it all possible -- students, athletes and basketball fans -- is a wrong for which the IDS can be forgiven.