politics

Four women accuse Indiana AG Curtis Hill of inappropriately touching them

A.G. Curtis Hill

Our current story is largely based on reports published by IndyStar.

Republican Indiana Attorney General Curtis Hill, an IU alumnus and former Elkhart, Indiana, prosecutor who was elected AG in 2016, has been accused by four different women of inappropriately touching them during an end of the legislative session party in March. 

During his time in office, Hill has weighed in on controversial national topics like the NFL protests, CBD oil and medical marijuana. 

However, now Hill himself is the subject of controversy.

The details of these accusations are outlined in a June 18 memo, which the Taft Stettinius & Hollister law firm put together.

Some of the accusations in the memo include:

-Hill reportedly slid his hand down the back of one lawmaker, under her clothes and grabbed her buttocks. According to the memo, she told him to back off ,only to have him grope her again. She again told him to back off.

-A legislative employee said Hill groped her buttocks, as well, and when she tried to remove his hand he grabbed her.

-Another employee reported in the memo Hill approached her at the bar and rubbed her back for about two minutes before she left to go to the restroom.

-Hill also allegedly told several women at the bar they would need to “show a little skin” if they wanted free drinks or better service.

Hill has denied these allegations in an email to the IndyStar and other news organizations. Hill claimed in the statement the March party had been crowded with people, but he had never touched anyone inappropriately.

Despite his denial, leaders from Indiana’s Democratic Party called Tuesday for Hill to resign in the wake of the allegations, at the same time Republican leaders in the state are emphasizing zero tolerance for sexual harassment.

"We believe the multiple allegations against the Attorney General are serious, and raise material doubts over whether he can effectively carry out the duties of his office," Indiana Democratic Party Chairman John Zody said.

Governor Eric Holcomb, who was celebrating his anniversary with his wife in Montana when the news broke, was quick to produce a brief response as he reminded Indiana residents about recent updates to the state’s sexual harassment policies.

“We took great care to update our sexual harassment policies for the executive, legislative and judicial branches in the past few months," Holcomb said in the statement. "No one should be subjected to unwanted sexual advances. I commend House and Senate leaders for their immediate and formal follow up to the allegations presented to them."

Hill met with political leaders soon after they released a statement saying their investigation into the accusations had been completed.

The legislative leaders included: House Speaker Brian Bosma, R-Indianapolis, Senate President Pro Tempore David Long, R-Fort Wayne, House Minority Leader Terry Goodin, D-Austin, and Senate Minority Leader Tim Lanane, D-Anderson. 

"Our investigation has been completed and the matter has been addressed with the Attorney General to the satisfaction of the employees involved," they said in a joint statement. "Protection of House and Senate employees is of paramount importance to legislative leaders.”

After the two statements were issued, Hill was seen meeting with all four legislative leaders in Bosma's office at the Statehouse. 

The internal investigation was started by Long and Bosma, according to the IndyStar, once the allegations came to their attention in May. 

The leaders hired Taft attorney Blake Burgan, who investigated and said while Hill’s actions might have been inappropriate, they did not create a pervasively hostile work environment.

The internal memo can be found here.