news   |   national   |   politics

White House releases infrastructure proposal

US_NEWS_TRUMP-TRADE_23_ABA

President Trump meets with members of Congress to discuss trade issues on Tuesday, February 13. The White House released an outline for national infrastructure funding Monday morning. Photo courtesy of Tribune News Service Buy Photos

The White House released an outline for national infrastructure funding Monday morning.

The proposal commits $200 billion in federal funding for infrastructure over 10 years, but expects state, local and tribal governments and private entities to account for the other part of the $1.5 trillion President Trump promised.

Half of the $200 billion will go toward stimulating the growth of the $1.3 trillion portion the White House said would be created. $20 billion from the other half will go toward funding innovative infrastructure projects, another $20 billion will go toward infrastructural financing and $10 billion would go toward reducing "inefficient leasing of Federal real property which would be more cost-effective to purchase," according to the White House.

The left over $50 billion will go toward improving rural infrastructure. 

The plan expects approximately 87 percent of the funding to be produced by non-federal entities, but it is still unclear how exactly the White House thinks this funding will be generated.

Jesse Naranjo

More in News