crime & courts

Bloomington man arrested Jan. 5 on rape charge

blotter filler

A Bloomington man was arrested on a rape charge Jan. 5 after allegedly forcing himself on his friend’s girlfriend while she was sleeping.

Bryce Shook, 21, is charged with rape, aggravated battery and strangulation, all felonies. 

The woman told officers she had awoken to Shook having sex with her. She said he is friends with her boyfriend, but he had entered her home without permission while she was home alone.

She told police she pushed him off and began to hit him, and he fought back, pushing her to the floor and beginning to strangle her. 

Shook then went downstairs to use his phone, she told police, and she followed, trying to take the phone away. He pushed her into an entertainment system, fracturing her collar bone, before walking back to his own home, where he was later found by police, according to court documents.

Shook told police the encounter was consensual, according to the probable cause affidavit for his arrest, but also said the victim “hates” him and would not have agreed to have sex with him if she’d known it was Shook. 

He confirmed he is friends with the woman’s boyfriend and said the pair has an open relationship that includes sex with other people.

Shook is scheduled to appear Feb. 26 in court for a pretrial conference, where the defense and prosecution update the court on preparations and progress. 

Nyssa Kruse