sports   |   volleyball

Volleyball struggles against No. 8 Michigan State

Junior defensive specialist Samantha Fogg and sophomore defensive specialist Meaghan Koors dive to keep the ball alive against Maryland on Sept. 23 at the University Gym. IU is now 1-17 in conference play entering the final two matches of the regular season.  Steven Lin Buy Photos

After falling to No. 1-ranked Penn State 3-0 Wednesday night, IU had to turn around and play No. 8-ranked Michigan State on Saturday night. 

The match went 25-15, 25-12, 25-18 in favor of the Spartans.

The offensive side of the floor was the difference in this match. Michigan State had a hitting percentage of .393, while IU's was just .048. The Spartans also out-killed the Hoosiers 42-24. 

All the hitters for the Spartans hit over .300 percent. Other than IU senior outside hitter Jessica Leish, every hitter for IU was under .300, three of which had a negative percentage. 

Sophomore defensive specialist Bayli Lebo continued her hot-streak as libero as she tallied up 10 digs in the contest. Lebo now has 56 digs in her six-match span as libero. 

This loss bumped the Hoosiers down to 12-18 on the season, with a conference record of 1-17. They will get another shot at the Spartans this upcoming Saturday at home to close out the season. 

Dylan Wallace

More in Sports