sports   |  volleyball

Volleyball struggles against No. 8 Michigan State

iuvb-9.23-2

Junior defensive specialist Samantha Fogg and sophomore defensive specialist Meaghan Koors dive to keep the ball alive against Maryland on Sept. 23 at the University Gym. IU is now 1-17 in conference play entering the final two matches of the regular season.  Steven Lin Buy Photos

After falling to No. 1-ranked Penn State 3-0 Wednesday night, IU had to turn around and play No. 8-ranked Michigan State on Saturday night. 

The match went 25-15, 25-12, 25-18 in favor of the Spartans.

The offensive side of the floor was the difference in this match. Michigan State had a hitting percentage of .393, while IU's was just .048. The Spartans also out-killed the Hoosiers 42-24. 

All the hitters for the Spartans hit over .300 percent. Other than IU senior outside hitter Jessica Leish, every hitter for IU was under .300, three of which had a negative percentage. 

Sophomore defensive specialist Bayli Lebo continued her hot-streak as libero as she tallied up 10 digs in the contest. Lebo now has 56 digs in her six-match span as libero. 

This loss bumped the Hoosiers down to 12-18 on the season, with a conference record of 1-17. They will get another shot at the Spartans this upcoming Saturday at home to close out the season. 

Dylan Wallace

More in Volleyball