arts community events

Man Booker Prize nominee Mohsin Hamid comes to Bloomington

arts filler

Moshin Hamid, author of "How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia," "Exit West" and "Moth Smoke," will give a public lecture and reading on Oct. 12 at IU.

Hamid will come to IU as part of his five-day visit to the United States this week, according to a press release from the IU Newsroom. 

Hamid will talk Thursday as a guest of IU's Dhar India Studies Program in the School of Global and International Studies. The free lecture will take place at 5 p.m. at the Indiana University Memorial Union's University Club.  Hamid will present IU's 2017 Hrishikesh and Sailabala Bhattacharya Memorial Lecture.  

Hamid will also speak with a group of IU graduate students, according to the press release.

Hamid's book "Exit West" was one of six novels nominated for the 2017 Man Booker Prize, a "leading literary award in the English-speaking world," according to the press release. 

This is Hamid's second nomination for the Man Booker Prize. In "Exit West," he discussed topics such as activism, globalization and migration. The 2017 Man Booker Prize winner will be announced Oct. 18.

In addition to his recent nomination, Hamid's writing has received recognition around the globe, and it has been translated into 35 languages, according to the press release. His work has not only won or been nominated for over 25 awards, but some of his work has also been adapted for film and named to bestseller lists. 

Adele Poudrier