sports   |  women's basketball

Buss and Cahill named Big Ten women's basketball preseason honorees

sphoosierhysteria8_web

Sophomore forward Bre Wickware (left), senior forward Amanda Cahill (middle) and senior guard Tyra Buss (right) hug while Coach Teri Moren talks to the crowd during Hoosier Hysteria on Oct. 21. Cahill was selected as one of the 20 preseason candidates for the Cheryl Miller Award on Wednesday.  Evan DeStefano Buy Photos

Ahead of the start of the 2017-18 NCAA women's basketball season, the Big Ten women's basketball preseason team polls and preseason all-conference honors were released Monday.

IU saw two of its players, senior guard Tyra Buss and senior forward Amanda Cahill, selected to both the Coaches Preseason All-Big Ten Team and the Media Preseason All-Big Ten Team. 

Last season, the senior duo combined for 44 percent of the team’s points scored. Buss averaged 18.2 points per game, while Cahill averaged 14.8 points per contest. 

Cahill led the team in rebounding, grabbing 8.9 rebounds a game, while Buss led the way in assists with 4.6 per game. 

Buss was a unanimous selection in the coaches poll, joining Ohio State senior guard Kelsey Mitchell, Michigan junior center Hallie Thome and Michigan senior guard Katelynn Flaherty as the only four unanimous selections in the coaches poll.

Neither Buss nor Cahill was a unanimous selection in the media poll.

Only eight of the 14 Big Ten teams had players make either list. IU joins Michigan and Ohio State as the only three teams to have more than one player on each list.

The top three schools in the Coaches Big Ten Preseason Rankings and the Media Big Ten Preseason Rankings were also released. 

The two lists featured the same schools with Ohio State, Maryland and Michigan in the top three.

Dylan Wallace

More in Women's Basketball