IU soccer earns first Big Ten victory of the season

iums10.jpg

Coming off the heels of two ties against ranked Big Ten Conference opponents, Maryland and Michigan, the No. 1 Hoosiers traveled to Evanston, Illinois, to play their first Big Ten road game. 

IU got on the score sheet early in the game after junior attacker Cory Thomas sent a ball in to junior midfielder Trevor Swartz, whose shot was saved. The rebound fell to freshman attacker Mason Toye, who buried it from five yards out. It was Toye’s third goal of the season, tying junior defender Andrew Gutman for the team lead.

Against Michigan, the Hoosiers scored first, but they failed to put the Wolverines away for the rest of the game. Things were different on Sunday afternoon, and IU built on its lead in the second half. Gutman crossed a ball into the 16-yard box, and after the Wildcat defense failed to clear it, Thomas finished in front of goal to extend the Hoosiers’ lead.

Thomas’ goal was his first of the season, and he became the eighth Hoosier to score this season.

IU dominated possession throughout the match and completed many more passes than it did during its last game against Michigan. The Hoosiers outshot Northwestern 17-8 and had four more shots on goal, as well.

The Hoosiers now stand at 5-0-2 overall and 1-0-2 in Big Ten play. They will be back in action on Friday against Rutgers at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

Michael Ramirez