Auckland, a city for adrenaline junkies, coffee drinkers and artists

Travel Column 9.21

On my second full day in Auckland, New Zealand, I jumped off a bridge around 9 a.m.

Admittedly, I was attached to a bungie cable, with two backups, each of which could hold the weight of a car. 

I have never felt more like a man walking to his death than when I made my way beneath the Auckland harbor bridge to the "jump pod."

I was nervous and excited. I was about to jump 40 meters, or about 120 feet, from a bridge, and on my way down, I would almost touch the ocean.

I was the second jumper of the day, and I made a classic mistake. 

I looked down.

I do not recommend looking at your feet as your toes dangle over the edge of the plank. In spite of my fear, when my jump master counted down to one and gave me the go ahead, I went for it. 

My attempt at a leap was simply falling feet first, swinging about seven to 10 feet above the waterline. 

I bounced like a fish out of water. I attempted to pull the designated rope to unlock the carabiner tying my feet together but failed. 

So I just hung there, upside down, until my jump masters reeled me back into the pod.

That was my first time bungee jumping, and I can say with certainty that you don’t know whether you will be able to jump until the moment they say “go.”

For some, the incentive to jump is likely peer pressure from friends or how much money the trip cost.

For me, it was the sheer recklessness of it all.

That was my Tuesday morning excitement. While Auckland may not be the adventure capital of the world like Queenstown, New Zealand, it will forever hold a place of both love and fear in my heart.

The day after was less exciting but still enjoyable. 

I spent the remainder of the day roaming different cafes and visiting the Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, parks and piers. I also visited the inactive volcanos like Mt. Eden scattered throughout the city.

While Auckland may not have a cafe at every corner, there are dozens throughout the Central Business District. Auckland may hold the title of the “City of Sails,” but the "City of Cafes" is almost as appropriate for this bustling seaside metropolis on the North Island.

Auckland is fascinating to me. Its main streets wind through hills that put those of Bloomington to shame. And the city's wide streets are juxtaposed with narrow pedestrian alleys, full of shops that are no more than holes in the wall. 

Overall, my first days in New Zealand have been a rollercoaster, deviating between high thrills like bungee jumping to relaxing in seaside cafes. 

New Zealand is a tourist's dream in many ways, with thrills and relaxation in equal measure. It’s a land suitable for all kinds of people, and if you get the chance to visit, it would be difficult to find a more interesting place.

This is part of a series of columns written about Dominick Jean's semester abroad in Adelaide, Australia.