Bloomington Chipotle locations affected in data breach

Georgia Perry

Both Bloomington Chipotle locations were affected in a recent data breach involving credit card malware.

The locations on Kirkwood Avenue and East Third Street were listed as locations where credit card data could have been stolen in the restaurant’s recent cybersecurity attack.

The restaurant first reported the attack April 25, but released more information May 26 following an investigation by cybersecurity firms, law enforcement and payment card networks.

The investigation showed that a type of malware was designed to access credit and debit card data when they were used on point-of-sale devices at Chipotle locations between March 24 and April 18, the company announced May 26.

The malware searches for track data, which can sometimes be used to read the cardholder name, card number, expiration date and verification code from the magnetic strip.

Chipotle said there is no indication that any other customer data was comprimised.

The data breach affected thousands of locations within various time frames. The Kirkwood location was affected between March 25 and April 18. The East Third Street location was affected from April 3 to April 18.

If customers purchased products from the restaurant within those dates, Chipotle suggests they check their bank statements for any fraudulent activity.

Chipotle announced they removed the malware during the inves tigation and are working with cybersecurity experts to enhance security measures.

If customers have 
questions about the incident, they can call the company at 888-738-0534 between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.