Acclaimed ballerinas to join Jacobs ballet faculty

Kyra Nichols will become a professor of music in ballet and will hold the Kathy Ziliak Anderson Chair in Ballet. Courtesy photo.

Two acclaimed ballerinas will join the faculty at the Jacobs School of Music in August, according to a Jacobs School of Music press release.

Kyra Nichols will become a professor of music in ballet and will hold the Kathy Ziliak Anderson Chair in Ballet, a position previously held by Violette Verdy.

Carla Körbes will become an associate professor of music in ballet.

Nichols danced for 33 years with the New York City Ballet and since retiring from the stage in 2007 has taught ballet lessons, including private lessons in her New Jersey studio.

“When we consider her stellar tenure as a principal dancer, her post-performance career staging ballets around the country and working with Pennsylvania Ballet, and now her eagerness to bring her knowledge and wisdom to our students, we are proud to make such an addition to our faculty,” said Jacobs Dean Gwyn Richards in the press release.

Beginning her ballet training when she was five years old, Körbes has danced with the New York City Ballet and performed as a soloist and principle dancer in the Pacific Northwest Ballet.

Körbes has since taught at the The Colburn School in Los Angeles and as an associate director at the L.A. Dance Project.

“It is deeply meaningful for our school to welcome Carla Körbes, who has accomplished so much artistically, has meant so much to the cultural life of our nation, and is so connected to Violette Verdy,” Richards said in the release. “For IU to be the focus of her pedagogical endeavors is a thrilling moment for our students.”