BPD issues all clear for suspicious package found outside Turkuaz Cafe

Region Filler

The Bloomington Police Department responded to a report of a suspicious package Monday morning found on the sidewalk outside the Turkuaz Cafe.

Just before 1:30 p.m, police gave an all clear of the area surrounding the Turkuaz Cafe and reopened surrounding streets to traffic.

The package — small and white with wires appearing to show on the outside — was reported to BPD at 9:25 a.m. Police shut down a one- to two-block radius surrounding the corner of 3rd and Lincoln streets and called the Indiana State Police bomb squad as a precaution, BPD Capt. Steve Kellams said.

After inspection by the Indiana State Police bomb squad, it was determined the package was a small packaging tied together with an extension cord. ISP first sent out a bomb robot, likely equipped with a camera, to inspect the package, Kellams said. Then, after determining the package posed little threat, a bomb technician wearing protective gear opened the package.

Kellams said he did not know the specific contents of the package, but insisted the scare was “absolutely nothing.” He said the package was not a device or hoax meant to scare anyone, and that it was likely just left accidentally on the side of the road.

A similar incident reported at the Jewish Community Center in Indianapolis this morning was likely unrelated, Kellams said.

Carly Lanich