Bloomington schools recognized for education practices

The Indiana Department of Education recognized two Monroe County schools Friday in relation to its Promising Practices program, which identifies high-quality education practices throughout the state, according to a press release.

Bloomington High School South was chosen for its Plus Time, Pace, the extra help program, and Professional Learning Communities Teams programs, and Grandview Elementary School was recognized for its implementation of STEM — Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.

Each Promising Practice is shared with Indiana educators as having a positive influence on Hoosier students, according to the release. In honor of the state’s bicentennial, the Department of Education is planning to recognize 200 Promising Practices by December.

So far, 148 practices have been recognized.

Practices are nominated for the recognition and then reviewed with input from experts, according to the 
release.

“As I travel across the state, I see schools and communities implementing innovative education practices to meet the diverse needs of Hoosier students,” Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz said in the release. “High-quality instructional practices and support services are essential to providing every student with a high-quality education. I am excited to recognize these innovative practices today.”