Mark Hagen returns to IU as defensive line coach

After a 3-year hiatus, Mark Hagen is returning to IU football.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson announced Wednesday that Hagen will be taking over as the IU defensive line coach.

This news comes two days after the program announced Larry McDaniel would not be returning to the position.

Hagen spent 2011 and 2012 with IU as the defensive tackle and special teams coach. He also served as recruiting coordinator in 2012.

Then he left to spend the past three seasons at Texas A&M. There, he spent two seasons as linebackers coach and one as the defensive tackle coach.

“Mark brings a wealth of experience coaching the defensive line,” Wilson said in a press release. “He has competed, coached and recruited at the highest levels in the Big Ten and the SEC. We are very excited he is back with us and we look forward to getting to work.”

Hagen, a Carmel, Indiana, native, played his football at IU as well. He was a 4-year letterwinner, 2-time All Big Ten selection and 3-time Academic All-Big Ten winner as a linebacker under Bill Mallory.

Rivals.com has twice named him as one of the top recruiters in college football.

“It’s exciting to be able to come back home again,” Hagen said in the release. “These last three years have been fun. It’s something I felt like I had to do a few years back, but being a part of Coach Wilson’s program again and getting on board on the front end with Coach Allen is something I could not pass up. I’m looking forward to the challenge of coaching the entire defensive line and building a championship defense.”