IU visiting junior college quarterback who is set to decide next week

Richard Lagow is a junior college quarterback prospect out of Plano, Texas. 

College decisions aren’t new to Richard Lagow. The junior college quarterback prospect committed to UConn out of high school, transferred to Oklahoma State after summer training camp and switched to Cisco College after one season in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

So when he makes his decision next week about where he will spend his final collegiate seasons, he will have his background and experience with these types of choices behind him.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson and offensive coordinator Kevin Johns will be visiting Lagow on Tuesday. It will be a chance for some last in-person words before Lagow visits Colorado State this weekend and makes his decision a few days later between IU, UNLV and Colorado State.

Lagow said he is looking for a program in which he has a good relationship with the whole staff. He added he wants to fit in with the team and the whole system.

“I think I do with Indiana,” he said. “That’s something I like about them a lot.”

Lagow’s previous destinations have led to his wanting to go to a school where he can compete for a spot and play. There was a coaching change after he committed to UConn, and the system was not a good fit under the new regime.

Then he was led to believe he would he would be able to compete for a starting spot during his spring at Oklahoma State, but that was not the case. He said he doesn’t want to speak badly about the coaches there, but the situation changed.

IU presents a potentially good landing spot for Lagow, as senior quarterback Nate Sudfeld — who is listed at the same size and weight as Lagow — is graduating. There is not much certainty about a replacement plan for Sudfeld, so IU coaches have been in pursuit of Lagow.

“Indiana’s got one of the more prolific offenses in the Big Ten, really in the whole nation,” Lagow said.

He said he talks to Johns almost every day, sometimes just to chat about life. He also said he talks to Wilson about every other day. The sales pitch from IU is to maintain the explosive offense the Hoosiers have been able to put together under Wilson, he said.

Lagow, a large self-described pocket passer, threw for 2,285 yards and 21 touchdowns in eight games this season.

Despite his size and strong arm, Lagow prides himself on being able to move around and extend plays.

“That’s a pretty good size for a quarterback, and being that size helps a lot,” he said. “But it doesn’t help a lot if you can’t move; you can’t extend plays.”

Most quarterbacks wear numbers between one and 19. Lagow, on the other hand, wears No. 21, an odd choice for his position. He said he has always worn it because he likes being different on the field.

“Hopefully wherever I end up, I’ll be able to wear it still,” he said.