Business podcast strives to inform, entertain, inspire

Student entrepreneurs juggle a lot. IU junior Sam Reynolds and his twin brother Dillon Reynolds, who studies at Miami University in Ohio, created the podcast Startup Parachute to help them.

“We have grown up around entrepreneurship our entire life,” Sam said. “We thought that this podcast, a new medium, would be perfect to inspire college students who want to be entrepreneurs as well.”

Sam said he and Dillon write the interview questions and the scripts but also have a team in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where they grew up. This team includes two hosts, Lindsay Chatham and Abby Taubner, whom they knew from high school.

“I work for a local accelerator called ‘gener8tor,’” Taubner said. “They needed to find a host who was involved in the startup scene here, and they got referred to me and I definitely was interested.”

At the studio in Milwaukee, Chatham is in charge of logistics and planning, Taubner said. “Once we’re in the booth together and we’re asking questions, it really flows pretty naturally,” Taubner said. “We just feed off of each other’s energy and ask follow-up questions and see where the interview takes us.”

Sam said they choose to interview people who will show college students what it takes to be successful. Some of the past guests on the podcasts include Ultimate Fight Club President Dana White and one of the members of the original Facebook team.

“What we’ve been realizing more and more as we do these interviews is that a college campus is the perfect place to start a company because you have so many resources available,” Taubner said.

Taubner said she has noticed students are interested in starting their own companies, but they feel they need to focus on school or finish college before creating a business.

“What I hope most people get out of this podcast is that even if you don’t think that you’re someone who can start a company and make something bigger than yourself, you probably can,” Taubner said. “If you try, I think it will surprise you to see where you can go.”