Law enforcement to crack down on Labor Day drunken driving

The annual “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” campaign by the U.S. Department of Transportation to crack down on drunken driving will come to a close at the end of Labor Day weekend.

The campaign began Aug. 21 and involves 10,000 law enforcement agencies across the country, including some in Indiana, according to a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration press release. The campaign enforces a zero-tolerance policy for drivers with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 or higher, according to the 
release.

The NHTSA supports the campaign with $13.5 million in advertising funds to make the public aware of the 
dangers of drunken driving.

“Drunk driving is deadly, it’s against the law and despite years of progress, it’s still a problem,” U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said in the release. “With the help of law enforcement around the country, we’re getting the word out — if you’ve been drinking, don’t drive, because if you do, you will be stopped, you will be arrested and you will be prosecuted.”

According to the release, the number of drunken drivers on the road has decreased in recent years. The risk, however, still remains and increases, especially between 6 p.m. and 5:59 a.m., 
according to the release.

During the 2013 Labor Day period, half the fatalities at night involved drunken drivers whereas only 14 percent of daytime fatalities involved drunk drivers, according to the release.

In 2013, 31 percent of all motor vehicle traffic fatalities in the U.S. were alcohol related. Additionally, of the 10,076 people who died in drunken driving accidents in 2013, 68 percent were in crashes where at least one driver had a blood alcohol content at or above 0.15, 
according to the release.

“Targeted enforcement campaigns are an essential element in our strategy to save lives and reduce crashes, and they have helped sharply reduce the number of drunk drivers on our roads,” NHTSA Administrator Mark Rosekind said in the release. “But too many drivers continue to risk their lives and the lives of others by getting behind the wheel drunk. Our message is clear: drive sober, or get pulled over.”