What is a Hoosier?

Though IU has never settled on a mascot, gymnast Dick Albers gave fans someone to cheer for when he created the Hoosier Schoolmaster.

An Indiana Daily Student article from Feb. 19, 1952, hypothesized that “In fifty years from now, if we keep the tradition, the Hoosier Schoolmaster, like the University of Illinois Indian, will arouse spirit just by walking onto the floor and will carry a fervent significance for all students and alumni of IU.”

That tradition was started by Dick Albers.

Of the students asked whether or not they knew who Richard Albershardt — Dick Albers — was, many responded, “no.”

Everybody except one.

“The gymnastics guy?” freshman Tom Olsen said. He knew nothing else about Albers.

Albers was inducted into the IU Athletics Hall of Fame in 1994 with fellow Hoosiers William Armstrong, football player Brad Bomba, diving coach Hobie Billingsley and IU tennis player Heather Crowe, according to the IU Athletics website.

The website also lists his athletic awards. He was a three-time letterman in gymnastics, a two-time Big Ten champion on the trampoline in 1952 and 1956 and the only IU gymnast to be an individual champion in the trampoline in 1956.

Albers was also a two-time recipient of the L.G. Balfour Award and a two-time North-South Champion on the trampoline. After his time at IU, Albers began performing internationally under the nickname Dick Albers, instead of his own name, Richard Albershardt.

Albers performed with many groups and TV shows, according to a video produced by Albie Films for the Indiana Gymnastics Hall of Fame.

These groups include the Harlem Globetrotters, Bob Hope’s Christmas Shows, performing in front of the U.S. Military, The Ed Sullivan Show and more.

In 2004, Author House published Albers’ autobiography.

Titled “Someday You’re Not Coming Down,” this book touches on his highs and lows both as a college student and a professional.

So what did Albers do to solidify his legacy here at IU?

Throughout his sophomore year at IU, he dressed as an old man during games using a wig and old-timer glasses. He would then throw the glasses off in front of the crowd and perform a gymnastics routine.

This was Albers’ way of getting the IU students and other attendees fired up for the game at hand.

In his time at IU, Albers was considered the University’s mascot, the “Hoosier Schoolmaster.”

Th ough the Hoosier Schoolmaster tradition did not stick with the University, there are still several ways Hoosiers celebrate their school during timeouts.

IU’s current traditions include candy-striped pants worn by the men’s basketball team, the IU pep band and the cheerleaders’ timeout performance during every IU home basketball game.

Bleacher Report ranked the Indiana band as the No. 4 band in college basketball. The IU pep band and its involvement in the popular under-eight minute timeout helps create an electric atmosphere in Assembly Hall.

“Seventeen thousand Hoosiers all standing and joining in on the tradition, and then all at once at the end everyone in the hall shouts ‘IU,’” freshman Alex Stauth said. “If that doesn’t give you goosebumps and pride to be an IU Hoosier, I don’t know what will.”